Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Iowa
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2014, 10:20 AM  

North Central, Iowa
Ragbrai

Well Ragbrai stopped in our town this year. Our CERT team helped with traffic, first aid an logistics.

The Chief a Police said we had over 35000 registered folks an another 1000 to 2000 non registered riders. It was something else! We fed and watered all of the traffic personnel (local and county were involved as well as CERT members) which was a real chore with all the bikes! Never easy operating vehicles amoungst all the riders. We had 2 people working logistics (my self being the CERT Safety Officer and one other CERT person) so to free up law enforcement for other tasks.

Bret Michaels also played at Central Park in the downtown. My last run to drop off medical personnel was at 7PM and it took me 25 minutes to get them down the last block. Lots and lots of people.

I was amazed the next day how clean all the camping areas were (there were 5 registered camp areas an lots of them stayed on private property). The last ragbrai I had seen looked like the dump when they left, not so this time.

I think everyone enjoyed the stay and the entertainment. Even being a huge undertaking for traffic an logistics we would be glad to help again. We only had one serious crash that sent a person to hospital an the remainder were scrapes and scratch's for the most part. We had a break in the weather on Wednesday with temps in the upper 70's which really helped out.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:25 AM  

I have to confess that I needed to Google Ragbrai to find out exactly what it was.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:48 AM  

Manning, Iowa
A little known fact

It's the largest bike ride in the world , been on it 5 different times and years myself !

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Iowa
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.