Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Iowa
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2010, 06:59 AM  

Des Moines, Iowa
Storm Water Runoff problem in Iowa

Not many people think about it, but we have a very large storm water runoff problem. E-Coli, phosphorus and other contaminates are running off with the storm water and causing water purification problems. What's your opinion on the topic?

Old 09-09-2010, 09:11 AM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
I know in Hampton for some time you could not fish the lake because the toxin levels were so high.

Is this pretty much in every County in Iowa?

Old 09-20-2010, 05:03 PM  

Farmington, Iowa
I live around many lakes and rivers and have not herd anything like that. we have had alot of flooding here as well, But hasn't caused fishing problems. The only one i can think of that usually does, Is lake Geode. They have swimming, camping, fishing etc with a no wake lake. IMO kinda lame, Plus watch out for the rattlers out there, Not as bad as it use to be but i still see them. Two good places to go is lake saguma and Indian lake. Cabins, Fishing, Swimming, Etc and it has a fair price. Good luck
Old 09-23-2010, 07:25 AM  

Des Moines, Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPDriver View Post
Not many people think about it, but we have a very large storm water runoff problem. E-Coli, phosphorus and other contaminates are running off with the storm water and causing water purification problems. What's your opinion on the topic?
It is an issue in many places, but the root of the evil is not the poor storm runoff, its the chemicals and disesases that are in the water. When you say water purification problems, what do you mean?

In my opinion, in town the extra chemicals in the water is a result of what people put on the crubs in garbage bags and not containers. And my other point, is that the water system in the cities is being dirtied by all of the chemicals that homeowners spread on their lawns 4 times a year to keep them "green" I am sure that alot of ppl don't realize how much fertilizer is nessessary and how 95% of people are putting way too much on and polluting the water.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:18 PM  
OUG

Mason City, Iowa
lakes

I know in north central Iowa we are constantly getting warnings. Like previously mentioned Hampton is almost always in warnings and Clear Lake jumps in and out. CL outlawed certain lawn fertilizers to help the lake but that's only a small step.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:12 PM  

Des Moines, Iowa
I am not sure what the Laws are in DM, But I hope that they are pretty stringent. As for NW Iowa.. they have it all backwards farmers get the short end of the stick and the city folks seem to be able to dump as much scott's turfbuilder on as they want...
Old 10-08-2010, 07:22 AM  

Des Moines, Iowa
It is becoming an issue across the state. There is a clean water amendment on the ballot this November. All of our waterways in Iowa are impaired to some extent. The Raccoon River, where Des Moines gets its drinking water, is the 2d most impaired waterway in the nation. Folks need to start looking at how they are doing business and make adjustments.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:06 PM  

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
IMO, the city of Cedar Rapids is wasting a very valuable opportunity to help the runoff and flooding problems the area has. The city has secured funding for a floodwall to protect the downtown district on the east side of the river, but now there is a push to put a floodwall on the west side of the river as well. Where do they expect the water to go? If I were in their position, I would do what Madison has done with their waterfront area, and make the entire west side of the river a park area, if not a golf course or some other possible organized recreation. Urban Iowa is severely lacking in greenspace and there is an area of a few hundred acres of possible greenspace on the west side. A great solution to help Cedar Rapids in future flooding, as well as everyone downstream of us. Also, the area would help with filtering out contaminates and protect the watershed. If only government officials could come together and produce half a brain.
Thoughts?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:38 PM  

Baxter, Iowa
Green Space is key. We have channelized a lot of our waterways then add concret parking/roads that move water even faster to the waterway. While we can blame Government, we the people need to make them see change. Do we want another Walmart or tree?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Iowa
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.