Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2011, 01:41 PM  

Middleburg, Florida
ATTENTION: All Surf Fishers!

Wanting to get a thread going for us surf fishers. Tell us about your setup. What you caught on your recent trip. Where you were at, ect.

If you have any tips feel free to share.

I use a 12FT Pole with an Okuma Reel, 12lb test line. Usually use 3 or 4oz pyramid or if the current is really bad I'll break out the Sputniks. I use up to #4 Circle Wide Hooks. I'm always after Pompano, whiting, reds and flounder but love catching just about anything and will usually use a 2 or 3 hook pompano rig. I use live shrimp, sand fleas and have had good luck with cut squid.

Last trip out was a bust, nobody was catching anything or even getting any bites. I heard the fish were further down by Mantanza but I was at Vilano where I usually always have good luck.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:57 PM  

Middleburg, Florida
Went fishing at Vilano again and just got back. Got there about 11:30AM. First cast caught a small blue. Next catch was a small whiting and then I caught two good sized king mackerels. My girlfriend caught another small whiting right before the storm hit. I was using squid and some left over shrimp from my last trip out. I think if I would have bought some fresh shrimp I would have done better. My girlfriend was fishing with a 8FT Ugly Stick special from Walmart. Decent pole but needs a different reel. I was using my 12FT pole and my OKUMA that I put 65lb test Power Pro on and I loved it. So much better than what came with the OKUMA reel.

It's about time for me to get a new rod, I'm thinking of getting an ugly stick. We were using Pompano Rigs. I'd like to know what other rigs are good to use surf fishing. I've heard fish finder rigs are good.

I got a nice tackle organizer with tons of storage. I'm thinking of making rigs instead of buying them. Any good sites to show how to make different rigs?

Old 06-18-2011, 05:58 PM  

Middleburg, Florida
Also when is the best time to catch sand fleas? When the tide is going out in the morning?
Old 06-18-2011, 07:22 PM  

Nick, how about some pictures of the fish and the area you surf fish!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:41 PM  

Middleburg, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Nick, how about some pictures of the fish and the area you surf fish!
I will start to post pictures. Unfortunately yesterday both of my cameras were dead. I'm going to try to get July 2nd and 3rd off work. My birthday is the 21st and my parents got me tickets to the Coke Zero 400 in Daytona for the 2nd and then I want to get a hotel there or in St. Augustine for the night and wake up early on the 3rd for some fishing.

I have some older pictures....

Old 06-19-2011, 08:44 PM  

Middleburg, Florida
More pics... pretty much all of these are at Vilano Beach around the bend...

Old 06-19-2011, 09:32 PM  

Thanks for the pics! It looks like mostly baby sharks....what do you do with them?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:37 PM  

Middleburg, Florida
Quote:
Thanks for the pics! It looks like mostly baby sharks....what do you do with them?
Yea there were.... we caught about 25 one day. The fishing is starting to get better now. Hopefully I'll be catching some Pompanos and Reds. The baby sharks we just throw back.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:11 AM  

I myself have surf fished a few times, but I just don't have the right feel to determine whether I am getting a bite or the feeling in the line is just tidal action. Usually I get impatient, wind up the line, and discover the bait is still intact. Uggh!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:24 PM  

Middleburg, Florida
Quote:
I myself have surf fished a few times, but I just don't have the right feel to determine whether I am getting a bite or the feeling in the line is just tidal action. Usually I get impatient, wind up the line, and discover the bait is still intact. Uggh!
Using the right setup you don't really need a "feel". Use circle wide or kahle hooks and if you get a bit they pretty much set themselves. The right rod helps as well. I use a 12ft rod and it's pretty stiff, when it bends I know I have something biting.

Surf fishing is all about reading the water and having the right gear and bait. You got to have a solid cast to get the bait where the fish are. On my Okuma reel I have 65lb test power pro and with a 3oz pyramid I can cast over 100ft easily.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Bookmark this Page!