Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2010, 04:35 PM  

We're new to town, and happened on Casa Maria's in Jax Beach. They were still very new and had a few staffing problems (like not having anyone scheduled for 4pm on a Friday afternoon), but the bartender was trying hard and the food was good.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:42 PM  

So wha'ts up with the hookah restaurants? We like Mediterranean food, but can't handle tobacco smoke. Are there decent Mediterranean places that don't also have hookahs? (The smoking ban was the best thing to ever happen to dining out.)

Old 11-19-2010, 09:18 AM  

Jacksonville, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by andycat View Post
So wha'ts up with the hookah restaurants? We like Mediterranean food, but can't handle tobacco smoke. Are there decent Mediterranean places that don't also have hookahs? (The smoking ban was the best thing to ever happen to dining out.)
Try Istanbul on Phillips Hwy. The food is good and their Hookah is in a seperate enclosed patio.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:09 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycat View Post
Farah's Pita Stop on Southside makes really good food. It's a small, family-owned joint in a strip mall. The owner almost always takes your order at the counter and is really friendly.
No hookahs

Yelp link: Farah's Pita Stop Cafe - Jacksonville, FL
Old 11-22-2010, 11:56 AM  

FL
Pizza Palace is great for Italian.

La Nopalera is awesome for Mexican - and they make a great margarita.

European Street is good food, and their beer selections are awesome. A reliable source for Delerium.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:59 PM  
eap

Jacksonville Beach, Florida
I have lived out at the beaches most of my life. Some of my favorite spots to eat out here:

Angie's Subs - What used to be a convenience store and laundry mat has now taken over the entire building. It has mostly been taken by teenagers on lunch break from Fletcher High School, and as such will be swamped with young people who don't have a ton of cash to spend on gourmet food. If you happen to be in this demographic, by all means, show up at noon on a Saturday to experience the madness. If not, it's a nice place to ponder the patron contributed decorations while sipping a seriously large styrofoam cup full of very good iced tea after a long day at the beach. (Both cup sizes cost the same). If in doubt, order a peruvian, and try the peruvian sauce they have stashed on every table. Very laid back atmosphere, and they charge you less if you pay with cash.

Sun Deli - Sun deli is to the business professional what Angie's Subs is to the hungry high-schooler. Seriously good subs at a moderate price. Their main concern is to get you an exceptionally good sandwich as quick as possible so you can move on with your life, and constantly tell everyone you know about Sun Deli along the way. Not quite as much of an experience as the Angie's tradition, but they do have a formidable collection of cards to look at while you wait.

Sierra Grille - Like Moe's, only better in every way. Just go there. This is in Ponte Vedra next to the Marsh Landing Target, and another one somewhere on southside.

Cruiser's Grille - Classic Greasy American. A simple yet effective menu has kept this place around for years. My fav is the Big Salad, perfect to split with a significant other. Go for the Marinated.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:05 PM  

Jacksonville, FL
Top two for me would have to be Bistro Aix (San Marco) and Cafe Orsay(Park Ave a few miles past FSCJ Kent) I always get the Hanger Steak but I've had duck at Orsay and thought it was better than the steak. European Street(on Park near 5points) is good for the beer, food is okay, nice that we can bring our dogs and sit on the patio. I like Whitey's fish camp too, nice to sit out on the patio with friends and a pitcher. Pompeii's Coal Fired Pizza in Orange Park is pretty good too. And of course La Nop for Mexican, Burrito Gallery downtown is good as well but only has the basics like burritos. You can always check out Jacksonvilleconfidential.com for restaurant reviews too.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:52 PM  

Jacksonville, FL
I've heard great things about Matthew's and Taverna, both are in San Marco. Anyone ever go to those places?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:14 AM  

Jacksonville, FL
might catch some flack for this but Gators BBQ on the west side is has the best BBQ ever. Their brisket is cooked for like 18 hours is ridiculusly juicy. Try their BBQ dry or with any of their sauces. Supposably they have good seafood but after i tried the brisket sandwich i have not looked elseware. Their super potatoe is pretty good too.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:35 PM  

Interlachen, FL
I was waiting for someone to mention BBQ. Mojo's BBQ at the beach is fantastic. I like to try different BBQ joints around, but Mojo's is hard to beat. They also have a spot in Orange Park.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Bookmark this Page!