Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kansas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2010, 04:13 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Concealed Carry permits?

Hello! I'm Jake, and I'm currently in the Marine Corps. My wife and I are seriously considering coming to Kansas when this enlistment is up, and I was curious about the laws of Concealed Carry there.

Anyone know any specific laws on it? I looked it up online, but everything I found was somewhat outdated, and I know that things are changing now-a-days.

Thank you in advance for your input!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 10-06-2010, 12:17 PM  

Wichita, Kansas
Found this on the Sedgwick County Sheriff's site, should be up to date. http://www.sedgwickcounty.org/sherif...aled_carry.asp

Quote:
An eight-hour approved training class is required before any person can apply for a concealed carry permit in the State of Kansas. The office of the Attorney General has published a list of certified trainers on their website. Concealed Carry - Kansas Attorney General

Concealed carry applications may be downloaded at Concealed Carry - Kansas Attorney General or picked up at the Sheriff?s Office, 3803 E. Harry Suite 119, Monday through Friday 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM.

Once a Sedgwick County resident has received the mandatory training, they should bring the completed application packet and fees to the Sheriff?s Office, 3803 E. Harry, Suite 119 Wichita, KS 67218 on Tuesday or Thursday 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, or the first Saturday of each month 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. The applicant will be fingerprinted and the Sheriff?s Office will collect and forward all paperwork to the Attorney General?s Office for a criminal background check by the KBI. The Attorney General?s Office is the sole authority in determining if a permit will be granted.

The Kansas Personal and Family Protection Act (KSA 75-7c01 et.seq), spells out the process in great detail. A summary of this bill can be read on the attorney general?s website. Concealed Carry - Kansas Attorney General
Fast Facts

What paperwork do I need?

Bring the following items with you to the Sheriff?s Office, 3803 E. Harry, Suite 119 Wichita, KS 67218 any Tuesday or Thursday from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, OR the first Saturday of each month from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM:
  1. The completed application form.
  2. A valid Kansas Driver?s License or Non-Drivers Kansas Identification Card;
  3. ?Passport? type photo (approximately 2 inches by 2 inches) with an unobstructed full frontal view of your head and shoulders, taken within 30 days of application. Photos will not be accepted if you are wearing sunglasses;
  4. Attorney General approved Certificate of Training or affidavit of instruction from an approved instructor.
  5. $32.50 cashier?s check or money order payable to the Sedgwick County Sheriff?s Office;
  6. $100.00 cashier?s check or money order payable to the Attorney General?s Office;

Where can I get an application?

Sedgwick County Sheriff?s Office 3803 E. Harry Suite 119, Monday through Friday 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM or download the application at Concealed Carry - Kansas Attorney General .

I have all of the paperwork. Now what?

Any Tuesday or Thursday from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, OR the first Saturday of the month from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM, take ALL required paperwork to the Sheriff?s Office located at 3803 E. Harry, Suite 119 and you will be fingerprinted.
The Sheriff?s Office will collect and forward your application, copies of identification, fingerprints, photo, and payment to the Attorney General?s Office.

I am an out-of-state resident with a permit from that state. Can I apply for a permit in Kansas?

Only Sedgwick County residents may apply for a permit in Sedgwick County.

Will I get a card to carry with me?

Once approved, you will be instructed by the Attorney General?s office to contact your local Department of Motor Vehicle office to receive your CCH permit. You will be required to pay a fee for the card.

Will I be authorized to carry a concealed handgun into another state with my Kansas permit?

While other states have concealed carry laws, some may or may not recognize concealed carry permits issued by Kansas. Concealed carry licensees are cautioned to check with the licensing authority in each state before traveling.

Are out-of-state carry concealed licenses recognized by the state of Kansas?

For a non-resident concealed carry licensee to be recognized by Kansas the holder must hold a license from a reciprocating state, must be a resident of the state where the license was issued, and must be able to show proof of licensure and residency from the state of issuance. Reciprocating licensees must abide by Kansas concealed carry laws while traveling, visiting, or working in Kansas. Visit the Attorney General website at Concealed Carry - Kansas Attorney General for a list of reciprocating states.

Who can apply for a permit?

You must be a Citizen of the United States, a Sedgwick County resident, and 21 years or more of age;

What disqualifies me from a permit?

A physical infirmity which prevents the safe handling of a firearm;

Dishonorably discharged from military service.
Convicted or placed on diversion as an adult or juvenile in Kansas or any other jurisdiction, for an act that constitutes a felony under the laws of the state of Kansas;

As an adult or juvenile during the five years immediately preceding your CCH application submission date you have been:
  1. A mentally ill person or committed as an involuntary patient;
  2. Committed for controlled substance abuse;
  3. Convicted or placed on diversion for any violation of the uniform controlled substances act;
  4. Committed for alcohol abuse;
  5. Convicted or placed on diversion two or more times for Driving Under the Influence;
  6. Convicted or placed on diversion for Domestic Violence;
  7. Convicted or placed on diversion for Criminal Use of Weapons;

Currently the subject of a restraining order issued under the Protection From Abuse or under the Protection From Stalking acts;

Currently in contempt of court in a child support proceeding;
Contact

For more information on Kansas carry concealed laws please visit the Attorney General?s website at The Office of Kansas Attorney General Steve Six or call the Sedgwick County Sheriff?s Office at (316) 660-3939

Old 10-06-2010, 12:46 PM  

Sorry Jake...This might cause you some problems:

A mentally ill person or committed as an involuntary patient.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:49 PM  

Wichita, Kansas
After reading a little more, there was quite a bit that was changed in the law this year that is not reflected on the site quoted above. See a full summary of the 2010 changes here: http://www.ksag.org/files/2010_Summa...-_Website2.pdf

What may be of interest to you if you already have a CCP from a different state: (outlined on pages 5 and 6 in the link)
Quote:
An individual who is a new resident to Kansas as of July 1, 2010 or after, may be eligible to bypass the Kansas training course AND carry concealed during their pending Kansas application. In order for this to happen the applicant must have a valid concealed carry license or permit that was issued by a jurisdiction that Kansas recognizes. If in possession of such a license or permit, they must attach a photocopy of that license or permit to their Kansas application when they turn in their materials at the county Sheriff’s office. Once the Unit has confirmed the validity of the recognized license then the Unit will respond to the Applicant with a receipt that the Applicant must
keep with them when carrying under that recognized license.

REMEMBER: A RECEIPT FROM THE ATTORNEY GENERAL MUST BE CARRIED IN
CONJUNCTION WITH THE RECOGNIZED LICENSE IN ORDER FOR THE PERSON TO BE
LEGAL TO CONTINUE CARRYING!!!!! A PERSON MAY NOT SIMPLY MOVE TO
KANSAS AND CONTINUE CARRYING UNTIL THEY APPLY – IF YOU DO NOT HAVE
THE RECEIPT THEN YOU CAN BE CITED FOR UNLAWFUL CONCEALED CARRY.

A lot of the disqualifying rules were changed as well. Notably, all felonies are no longer an automatic lifetime disqualification. Those changes are outlined on page 4 and 5 in the link above.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:15 PM  

Leavenworth, KS
Good to know.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:19 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks for all the info, all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Sorry Jake...This might cause you some problems:

A mentally ill person or committed as an involuntary patient.

You, sir, are not my friend.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:09 PM  

New Strawn, KS
The biggest downside is that you have to be a resident for 6 months. Which it turns out to mean KS drivers license for 6 months. If you end up moving here, get your new drivers license ASAP.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:52 PM  

Chanute, Ks, Kansas
If you don't have a permit in your state...

get it now if your state's permits are accepted. Then you will be legal while you wait the 6 months to get your Kansas permit.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:54 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
That's a good piece of info! One thing I enjoy about being in the military is that I've still got my ID from Cali, where I lived like 3 stations ago.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:55 PM  

Independence, Kansas
Ccp

Depending on how close you move to South East Kansas look me up I am good friends with two guys that are instructors.

Jason

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kansas
Bookmark this Page!