Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kansas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2010, 01:42 PM  

mulvane, kansas
if your into four wheeling up north of manhattan at tuttle creek theres a VERY good off road park. Its free to get into, can stay all day, dirtbikes, atv's, 4x4's and more are allowed, dont have to sign in or anything. they have trails for EVERYTHING, literally. we were moving my step sister up there, thought we'd go check it out, 1994 jeep grand cherokee laredo with about 25-27 inch tires on it, we took it out up there, HAD A BLAST!! i'd suggest it to anybody who just wants a simple day trip.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:34 AM  

Kansas City, Kansas
You won't find a more hospitable population anywhere! Kansas has just about anything to offer a visitor unless you need an ocean. Outdoor activities, gambling, auto racing, shopping, night life, great food, you name it!

Old 10-17-2010, 11:31 AM  

Overland Park, KS
I don't know where there are outdoor activities... really. I have a boat and manage to get it out frequently each summer, but the lakes are small and dirty. No hiking, not a lot of trail riding, even the camping feels like you're in someone's backyard due to the lack of trees. No streams, usuable rivers, or anything I would consider outdoor fun. There's really nowhere to mountain bike even. If you like to eat, KS can hook you up. Aside from that, there's not much unless you hunt.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:57 PM  

Chanute, Ks, Kansas
Dude, are you serious???

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybubb View Post
I don't know where there are outdoor activities... really. I have a boat and manage to get it out frequently each summer, but the lakes are small and dirty. No hiking, not a lot of trail riding, even the camping feels like you're in someone's backyard due to the lack of trees. No streams, usable rivers, or anything I would consider outdoor fun. There's really nowhere to mountain bike even. If you like to eat, KS can hook you up. Aside from that, there's not much unless you hunt.
Have you ever been to ANY of the state parks? I've camped Tuttle Creek, Cross Timbers, El Dorado Lake, Cheney Reservoir, Fall River and many others. Most are very heavily wooded, most have mountain bike trails (although a hair on the mild side if you're used to down hill action) and none feel like a "someone's back yard." Lakes are definitely dirty, and many are small, but there are several that are more than 15,000 acres.

Sounds like you need to get out more!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:47 AM  

Ellsworth, Kansas
Mushroom State Park near Ellsworth is really kinda neat. Amazing rock formations in the middle of nowhere. The Rolling Hills Zoo near Salina is really worth seeing, too. It's an amazing zoo. Again, in the middle of nowhere but easy to get to.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:50 AM  

Ellsworth, Kansas
If you are a pheasant hunter, Kansas offers some pretty good hunting for pheasants and quail. There is a lot of Walk In Hunting areas that are open to the public that offer pretty decent bird populations.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:08 AM  

Kansas City, Kansas
Quote:
I don't know where there are outdoor activities... really. I have a boat and manage to get it out frequently each summer, but the lakes are small and dirty. No hiking, not a lot of trail riding, even the camping feels like you're in someone's backyard due to the lack of trees. No streams, usuable rivers, or anything I would consider outdoor fun. There's really nowhere to mountain bike even. If you like to eat, KS can hook you up. Aside from that, there's not much unless you hunt.
Apparently you have not tried to find outdoor activities AT ALL!. Mountain Biking, Hiking, and camping without being in "someone's backyard" are located all over the place. Get a map and figure it out instead of making these terribly misleading statements on a public forum.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 AM  

Kansas City, Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponderer View Post
If you are a pheasant hunter, Kansas offers some pretty good hunting for pheasants and quail. There is a lot of Walk In Hunting areas that are open to the public that offer pretty decent bird populations.
The WIHA map is available at just about every place that sells a license and, like the original poster said, have great hunting. Even when I go hunt on private land, I usually stop at a few of the WIHA areas as well.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:49 PM  

Wichita, KS
Quote:
Are you sure you weren't in someones back yard? Your obviously not trying very hard!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:54 AM  

Wichita, Kansas
Quote:
Wow, this couldn't be more wrong. My wife and I used to try to hit a different state park, historical site, or one of the various locals festival every weekend. I don't remember everything off the top of my head but a few that stick out are Kanopolis State Park, Elk City State Park, and Scott State Park. All of them had great hiking and biking trails. Really nice horse trails too.

As far as feeling as though you're in someone's backyard because of a lack of trees, understand that west of the flint hills, with the exception of a few hedge and cottonwoods alongside creeks, nearly all trees have been imported. If you want to see natural Kansas, you want to see prairie grass and not a lot of trees.

If I can find them later, I'll try to post up some pics of some state parks I've been to, but you could probably find better ones just doing a google image search. Kansas has an interesting and diverse topography to say the least, you should get out and see it sometime!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kansas
Bookmark this Page!