Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2010, 12:21 PM  

Benton, Kentucky
2/3 not ready for workplace/college

Two-thirds of Kentucky high school graduates aren't ready for college or careers, ratings show | courier-journal.com | The Courier-Journal

When our schools are under funded and your teachers are stressed, what do they expect?

Old 10-19-2010, 11:26 PM  
Avast me hearties!

Spartanburg, SC
I agree.I have family that lives in the south eastern section of KY.The coal mine villages there have small schools.There's 8 grades and only 200 kids at one of the schools.2nd graders are just now learning basic math.The big city schools start learning basic math in 5K.I'm talking basic math like 1+1=2.Here in SC where I live,kids start basic algebra in 2nd and 3rd grade.My son learned his multiplication tables in 1st.I am really concerned about certain areas of our country.They just don't have a good teaching curriculum.I think there should be some standardizing of teaching curriculum across the US.It is that way in Asia and look how far ahead their students are compared to the US.There was a big deal made of it on one of the national news shows, not to long ago.The parents are the ones that hold their children back in life over there and lack of income.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:38 PM  

Bowling Green, Kentucky
Kids that want to learn will find a way.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:46 PM  

Lancaster, Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
Kids that want to learn will find a way.
And you expect that to be the answer to it all? "Oh, if they want the information they will find it themselves." Ok, the next time you want something, make it yourself, regardless of whether you know how or not.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:40 PM  

Mt. Vernon, Kentucky
One of the one things kids are being taught in school is how to pass tests and create a portfolio that will score well enough to get the attention of those in Frankfort. I've talked to several teachers over the years and they all said that the higher ups drilled this into their heads all the time.

While this would help them somewhat with college writing papers it does nothing to help them deal with mathematics or anything to do with the real world. It's scary as hell to me that while I'm stumbling around in my later years these will be the ones running the country.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:52 AM  

Lexington, Kentucky
I came from a smaller school as well. Graduating class of only 52. I thought I got a great education. Definitely better then most the larger public schools around.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:44 AM  

Louisville, Kentucky
I do think funding has a lot to do with it, but what they decide to teach and when also plays a part. And call me crazy if you like, but the history books they read from now are much different than they used to be, and much is left out these days.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads