Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2010, 09:53 AM  

Alexandria, Kentucky
Amish in Kentucky

I just moved from New Mexico to Kentucky ans was surprised that we have a an Amish population. Is there any where I can go to buy Amish made products?

Old 09-18-2010, 11:30 AM  

leitchfield, KY
Yes, Usually the amish will set up little road side stands in the spring and around harvest time. Also you can usually find farmers markets that have amish booths set up.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:37 PM  

50 miles SW of Houston, United States of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BibB View Post
I ----snip ----to Kentucky, -------snip---we have a an Amish population. ----snip ---
Looks like there is no end to the immigration migration thing. Kentucky anchor babies will be the next issue. :P
Old 09-21-2010, 11:04 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
LOL...

If your ever in the market for some nice wood furniture check out your local Amish furniture stores.. While living in Indy we had several pieces "custom made" for us at very reasonable prices. My wife's hutch is what I call heirloom quality or an "instant antique" and sure to be in our family for many generations and it cost us less than $1500. Truly old world craftsmanship but they are also very capable of building modern looking furniture out of real wood instead of the press board vernier crap so common today.

My neighbor in Indy hired a van load of Amish to come build his kitchen cabinets at his house for what he says was half the price of mid to high level box store "custom" cabinets.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:29 AM  

Bowling Green, Kentucky
I'm not exactly sure where Alexandria, Ky is but if you're near the munfordville area i know there is quite a big population of amish there. I have seen them selling vegetables, melons, and various types of wood work. Also i know people who take meat to them and have them make summer sausage type foods. There are also some amish in Scottsville that make some amazing dried fruit.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:23 PM  

50 miles SW of Houston, United States of Texas
They are truly good people and are number one on the survivalist scale of living off the bare earth with the minimal essentials. Their arts and crafting ways remind me of the early native Americans before the Spanish sweep thru N.America.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:16 PM  

Ashland, Kentucky
There are a few Amish families here in Eastern KY. They do limited advertising, making most of their money by making barns, storage buildings, and work buildings for people in the area. The price is comparable to metal buildings, and their craftsmanship can't be beat. My friend's parents hired a family to build them a large building to store a few classic cars in, and they had it completed, perfect and beautiful (and strong as hell) in no time flat. Great work ethic, those Amish!
Old 09-30-2010, 05:29 PM  

Somerset, Kentucky
If I'm not mistaken there are quite a few up around Washington county. Also, the Mennonites down here in Clay county are the best butchers around.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:56 PM  

Morehead, KY
Fleming county is crawling with Amish. They are great people
Old 10-22-2010, 08:46 AM  

Lexington, Kentucky
I love Amish cheese. Recently picked up a brick of smoked cheddar. Probably the best cheese I've ever had. They know how to work that dairy.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.