Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2010, 03:13 PM  

Lexington, Kentucky
Any other Lexington Homebrewers on here?

I'm not a BOCK member because I have scouts on Monday nights so I'm just checking to see who else in my neck of the woods is on here that home brews. It's good to know some of the folks around me with the same hobby.
Have a great night and I hope you're drinking something you're proud of!
Cheers!

Old 12-09-2010, 11:01 AM  

Lexiington, KY
Hey fellow Lex brewer. I brew pretty regularly, though as of late I seem to be slacking. Not a member of BOCK either. I was invited to attend but never made it out there.

So how do you brew/set-up? Extract or All Grain?

Me I'm somewhere in the middle. I do a Hoegarrten clone all grain, because I haven't had the budget yet to start building my all grain set-up, I mainly brew extract with grain additions. I grow my own hops (Cascade and Magnum) so I mainly brew ales and a few stouts.

Cheers!

Old 12-09-2010, 01:08 PM  

Lexington, Kentucky
I did extract and I'm not apposed to it but I have a bunch of grain that I'm workign my way through right now. I keep hearing people talk about how expensive it is to do all grain and to get it set up. I did the whole thing for around $25 cooler included. No ball valve just a CPVC mainfold on the inside and a brass nipple on the outside with the hose. I wrap the hose around the handle of the cooler in kind of a figure 8 and it keeps the wort in and doesnt drip out. I just started raosting my own grains and I have a batch that I'm transfering tonight to secondary. I'm looking forward to it.
I grew some Willamette and Centenial this year but did a really poor job.
I didnt water enough or something. I had cones, but not very many.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:57 PM  

Lexington, KY
I just moved to Nicholasville from Lexington. I brew, too. Well, I've started brewing. I have my second batch in primary, right now. It's the Northern Brewer bourbon barrel porter. I used the extract kit. Once I get the hang of things, I plan on making the jump to AG.

What is this BOCK? I assume it is a homebrewing club. Any info on it?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:14 AM  

Lexiington, KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humeulus View Post
I did extract and I'm not apposed to it but I have a bunch of grain that I'm workign my way through right now. I keep hearing people talk about how expensive it is to do all grain and to get it set up. I did the whole thing for around $25 cooler included. No ball valve just a CPVC mainfold on the inside and a brass nipple on the outside with the hose. I wrap the hose around the handle of the cooler in kind of a figure 8 and it keeps the wort in and doesnt drip out. I just started raosting my own grains and I have a batch that I'm transfering tonight to secondary. I'm looking forward to it.
I grew some Willamette and Centenial this year but did a really poor job.
I didnt water enough or something. I had cones, but not very many.
That's about how I am mashing too. By "All Grain Set-up" I envision a HERMs type system. I'm going to start designing it new year and getting parts piece by piece as I have the extra cash.

For now, the igloo cooler mash and extract batches are doing the job!

@ Xtant

"BOCK" stands for Brewers Of Central Kentucky

I think they are still between websites so there isn't one I can send you to, but I think they have a Facebook page.

Cheers!
Old 12-15-2010, 02:10 AM  

danville, kentucky
i live just south of danville. i do extract and all grain. i do extract mostly becuase of the time. if i take off work to do a ag brew i miss out on $500.

i make nothing under 7.5% myself. i've been drinking on a liter that is 9.5% abv tonight along with 8 others that are 7.5% and are wheat beers!!!!!! i don't belong to a group or club because i think that is gay $hit myself!!!! i like doing it for myself and my friends!!! only queers need to belong to a freaking club!!!! need i say more or am i understating it for you club members?
Old 12-21-2010, 08:30 AM  

Sadieville, KY
I live north of Gtown and am a member of BOCK. Great bunch of guys and really good brewers!!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 02:27 PM  

I'm from Northern KY and started homebrewing with a small kit but hope to start blending my own ingredients
Old 12-27-2010, 12:39 PM  

Jackson, ky
I don't live in Lexington now, but when I started homebrewing I did. I have to go back to get my supplies right now. Have only done partials so far but I want to try AG.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:34 PM  

Georgetown, KY
Hello! Im going to attempt my first batch this weekend. where are the best places in lexington or surrounding areas to buy supplies?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Bookmark this Page!