Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2010, 12:31 PM  

lexington, ky
Food Storage and Prepping in KY

I've been to Costco and Sam's Club - both are very limited in supplies for preppers. Does anyone know of any local merchants for food storage? For example - where do you buy hard wheat? True - I can order online but I like to buy local when I can. Ideas?

Old 11-15-2010, 02:03 PM  

danville, kentucky
when you figure it out let me know!!! i buy all my stuff from ready reserve. started out with mountain house and switched over because i didn't like the fact you had a week to eat a entire #10 can!!! i also have some honeyville t.v.p. products. i have tvp chicken,beef and ham. i picked up a case of each to have.

i take powdered milk and put a oxygen absorber in it and vacuum seal it and store it in 5 gallon buckets with gama seal lids on they. i think we may be on another website together for prepping in our state.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:05 PM  

southeast, Ohio
Head to a farm store and learn to do these things yourself.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:39 AM  

Mt. Vernon, Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGhidora View Post
Head to a farm store and learn to do these things yourself.

Learning how to can goods is a great thing to know. Then all you need are Mason/Ball jars, lids and a garden. We've been canning stuff here forever. It's going to be better food all the way around because you know what was done to make it.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:25 AM  

southeast, Ohio
We grew a lot of food on that farm from nearly all the vegetables we ate to a lot of fruit (we had our own orchard for example) to nuts, berries,and of course the meat. We raised cattle mostly but we raised a hog once in a while and we would butcher it ourselves. There's a lot of work involved for a lot of people to do that right but it pays off. We grew so much food we gave it away to everyone in the county it seemed. We raised acres of watermelons and I'm talking 35 pounders. People who buy their food from a store don't have any idea
what they're missing out on. The quality of the food you grow yourself is night and day better than the store bought stuff. It's gotten better in recent years if you buy the right stuff at the stores but it still doesn't compare with home made biscuits with blackberries, rasberries, or strawberries. Plus my grandmother was an expert on preserving foods. She made dozens of different kinds of pickles and relish and jams and jellies and preserves. Yeah it was a lot of sweets but we worked so hard we burned off any excess calories. Then we would eat steaks that wouldn't fit on our plates for dinner with potatoes we grew ourselves and green beans we preserved or straight from the garden and salad made entirely of food straight from the garden.

Picture the best restaurant and then think about eating there every day of your life 3 times a day. That's what living on a farm is like. Sure there's lots of hard worked involved but it's worth it. And no matter what the money class can't take that away from you at least in this country. They're working on doing it but they just might find a lot of people still live that way and they don't want any part of caving to the system.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:00 PM  

danville, kentucky
i grow a garden and can everything i can out of it. i freeze alot of corn as well. the simple fact is canned goods we do at home out of the garden won't last 30 years unopened like the ready reserve does. it's good to be able to grow a garden and can the food for winter use, but sometimes you'll need more than that.

i also can meats and cakes. they are nice to have for latter on as well, but again they don't last 30 years if unopened. sometimes piece of mind is better than just thinking you can do enough and then find out you can't
Old 12-04-2010, 01:52 PM  

southeast, Ohio
If I had to live on what I put up from store bought supplies I think I wouldn't want to go on living. There's very few scenarios that would prevent us from growing what we need or taking it from the land. You say you wouldn't be able to provide yourself with enough food to eat year round and I say people have been doing just that since man first climbed down out of the trees. It may not be the same kind of selection we get from a supermarket but then again it will be fresh and chances are it will taste better. The worst problem we'll see is that the hybrid seeds we buy won't be nearly as good the second and third year because we will only get back a portion that even resembles the stuff we buy for now. But that will work itself out in a few short years. We should expect to plant more at first because of this.

It will be a good to store stuff for the first couple of years especially. But long term the only viable option is to go back to the old ways. They aren't really all that old. I saw smoked meat. My uncle smokes his own salmon still. But as for "thinking" I can do enough then finding I can't all I can say is we did it. We had a milk cow. We ate catfish. We ate frog legs. We slaughtered cattle and hogs. We gathered berries. We had an orchard. We had a cherry tree, a persimmon tree, paw-paws, walnuts, hickory nuts, pear trees, peach trees, There are sources of food to be found nearly the entire year round. People ate things we wouldn't dream of eating now too. I'm talking ground hog and possum. There are things to eat. We could survive on rats and mice if necessary.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:31 PM  

danville, kentucky
you nailed it. the hybrid seeds!!! i have been buying heirloom seeds for awhile. i keep them in my deep freeze. every year i pick up a new package that has enough of everything to do a one acre garden in one package.

i still eat groundhogs by the way. i bake them in the oven after deboning. possum on the other hand.....well.... if it was cuaght alive and feed in a cage for maybe a month i might.

now how many people do you believe have the know how or gumption to grow a garden or hunt and fish? and then how many would be able to clean what they cuaght?

we are a dying breed. like i said the ready reserve is good to have cause lord only knows what the future does hold.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:50 PM  

southeast, Ohio
Quote:
now how many people do you believe have the know how or gumption to grow a garden or hunt and fish? and then how many would be able to clean what they cuaght?

we are a dying breed. like i said the ready reserve is good to have cause lord only knows what the future does hold
This is where it starts to get ugly unfortunately. It's going to be an ant and grasshopper thing with the grasshoppers having high capacity rifles and they'll be running in packs. Just holding on to what you have grown will be a major challenge. A hungry human is a desperate human. That's why we'll need to live in groups and that's why the feudal systems will come back in a hurry. A few well armed knights can deter those who would like to get their food the only way they know how which is to steal it. That's why being remote is important and that's why stockpiling weapons and ammo is important. Yes it's a seriously messed up thing but like you say not many will know how to support themselves much less be prepared to do it. The best way to deal with those types is to put them to work on your lands and become the feudal lord yourself. If you're the one that knows how to make it work you can teach the others to do it. But order will have to be maintained. That's why things like chivalry and loyalty will be very important. There will be a limit on how many can be supported on your land and enforcing that limit will be tough. Family will come first. There's just no way around that. It's easy to see why people fall into the same patterns when things start breaking down. It stinks but what else are you going to do? Early on the feudal systems work pretty well but eventually the people in power start to abuse that power. It's a terrible cycle to be caught in.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:08 AM  

danville, kentucky
agreed. i have alot of silver and some gold so when the barter system starts back up i might have something to use besides guns and ammo to barter with. i have been buying up canning jars. lids and rings for years. i by at least 10 extra cases of jars(with lids on them) and 20-30 extra boxes of lids and rings every year and just set them back.

i have been setting back ammo and guns for many years now. i like the old sks as a handout rifle and the mosin nagants are good as well. i have ammo stock piled and stored for them. i have been reloading for years and i also do some smith work here at home as well. i have many other fine rifles that have all been restocked,rebarreled, triggers set in the single oz range, glass bedded and scoped right. i shoot in rimfire and centerfire matches along with idpa pistol shoots. we keep pitbulls also. i have a 3 year old colby female that stays in my home with us now along with a few males outside. not much moves around here i don't know about.

i've read patriots before and have gotten many great ideals from it. i'm hoping to buy some land in the next while out in the middle of no where. i plan on biulding a burm home with only the front showing out of the ground. i also plan on doing alot of solar and wind power as well.

there is one thing we have left out. that is water. water will be a important thing to think about. i have several monolithic water filters. i have one already set up and ready to use and about 5 more filters for back up when that one is used up. i plan on getting several more next year to set back as well.

the roving hords will be something many will not believe just how bad it will be. think about this. gangs already operate beyond the laws. they already have thier systems set up for when something happens. they have stashes already in place, not for what we are talking about but for thier everyday illegal dealings. when something bad happens they will just move right on out into the open and take over the cities. it would be a mess beyond belief. that is why being out in the middle of no where would be important. having a home with a simple dirt road that most would drive right past, trees blocking the veiw of the home year round from the road would be important as well. having the ability to see what is coming and going from a hidden hill spider whole would be a need as well.

as for the group. how many would be enough? you'd need somebody manning the look out 24-7-365, you'd need people resting and doing the odd jobs in the house. i'd say no less than 8 people are a must and no more than 12-15 max in the group. each would have to bring food,water and ammo into the group armory and pantry. each would need a special trade that they are good at say electric and heating,cooking, medical, shooting, survallence,gardening, ect,ect,ect.

what do you think so far? to live through a break down of economic, emp or anything you'll have to have the people and tools to help get by for the long hall.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Bookmark this Page!