Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2010, 02:03 PM  

danville, kentucky
gold and silver.

is anybody buying gold and silver to set back because our money is pretty much truely worthless? i've been doing it for years now and have a large amount in a safe in my home. i figure with the feds firing up the printing presses again and flooding the world with american money backed by nothing at all, buying silver and gold is the only way to go. i pick up 4-8 ozs of silver every pay day and just sit it back. so far i have silver i picked up for around $4 up to $25 a oz. if i needed to i can sell it now and make a killing off what i have saved and set back.

truth is i know if the feds keep it up and our nation doesn't return to a industrial bases nation who makes products and ships it out of the u.s.a. to other countries instead of importing more than what we make and export, we are doomed to become a 3rd world country!!!! those who have food,weapons,ammo and silver and gold will be the wealthy people!!!

i've been setting back dehydrated foods,weapons,ammo and silver and gold for years now. i do plan to keep doing the samething until our nation turns itself around. i just wonder if we can turn our nation back around and put it back on the right track myself.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:44 PM  

The theory is correct, but some say the bubble has already popped on the gold and silver prices, if you follow the book "Aftershock." Gold has recently climbed to a price where if it drops, many will lose lots of money, but not as much as if you held onto the ever declining dollar.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:12 PM  

danville, kentucky
true. by holding onto silver while not as high you stand to only lose dollars or hundreds of dollars instead of hundreds of thousands of dollars if the bubble pops.

i do it for the long hall anyway so i have at least 25 more years of purchasing to go before i have to worry about it myself. and again the barter system is what i'm thinking of mainly at the moment.

the dollar is declining more everytime the fed makes a move right now. these are about the best places i can think of to put your worthless dollars. gold,silver,guns,ammo and food. very best places to put money!! darned sure isn't a bank or the stock market!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 12:01 AM  

I like it under my bed. Those 10 one dollar bills make my mattress nice and stiff!
Old 11-06-2010, 02:17 PM  

danville, kentucky
i can sleep anyplace. i got 20ozs of silver in today i ordered over a month ago. precious medal dealers are way behind at the moment. it would make my matress kinda lumpy putting it under there, but i could still sleep on it!!!

i don't think the bubble is anyplace near popping yet!! the fed is seeing to that with what they are doing. maybe when the fed stops and the market is allowed to adjust itself the way it should we might see the price start to come back down some, but i don't believe it will ever go under $15 a oz ever again.

i'd love to see our monetary system go back to the gold and silver standard, but i truely believe our nation is bankrupt right now. i don't think we have enough gold or silver to back anything nationally. i believe fort knox is as empty as obama's head is!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 02:35 AM  

Mt. Vernon, Kentucky
I really don't see a real bubble popping because a lot of people buying gold don't get actual gold. They get a different kind of useless paper saying they own X amount of gold and in many cases the gold to back it is not available. A simple truth is if U.S. currency becomes more useful as rectum ribbon than cash then having actual gold stashed will buy you something a wheel barrow will not.

So if nothing else nobody if you are holding actual gold and silver if nothing else you have created the ability to barter no matter what happens in the world. But being people are selling more gold than they actually have I can't see it going down in value any time soon even if the economy springs back from the abuse by those that where hired to help it.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:38 AM  

danville, kentucky
i have a small amount of gold but a much much larger amount of silver and everything i buy is in hand. if people buy gold and just get a piece of paper saying they have X amount in a vualt some place they have nothing but a piece of paper. places that do that will sell the same oz of gold to 100 people!! i'm all about having it in my hands.

i believe we will see the barter system before my lifetime is done here on earth.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:13 PM  

southeast, Ohio
If you look back at the last time gold and silver went really high you might notice a pattern. Every time the economy gets shaky metal dealers start buying and selling gold and silver. They pay far less than the actual value and usually sell it at twice the actual value or even higher. IMO the best thing you could do would be to cash in your winnings right now and invest in something that always has true value - land. Land will feed you. Gold won't. Buy whatever land you can afford as long as it has a place to raise a garden and maybe some cattle. You'll never have to worry about starving if you do that and you learn to work it. It takes a LOT of work but you will always have that to fall back on. Buy a garden tractor even if it's a small one. Just get a rear tine model. Then invest in canning supplies, a good freezer, a generator (preferably one that will run on alcohol - you can make that yourself) and a small shack with a toilet. Make sure you have your OWN water supply and don't depend on some city to supply it. Springs supported humans for a very long time.

A real farm is the best bet. But even a 5-10 acre plot will do the job if it has the stuff you need. Gold and silver are subject to the whims of other humans for their value. A time could come when they were worthless. Land is never worthless. Buy several places if you can and learn what sharecropping is all about.

It wasn't that long ago that nearly everyone lived this way. Back in the depression my grandfather got together with the guys he worked with and they pooled all the money they had saved and they had a knock down, drag out, winner takes all poker game. The winner had enough money to buy a farm and he could raise a family. The losers had to forget about getting married and having kids. They could support themselves on laborer's wages but that was it. My grandmother (they got married in the 20's before the depression) loved the idea of moving back to the country. My grandfather's brothers were all businessmen and they were suffering big time for a decade. Eventually they came out of it but my grandfather's family made it by just fine. Granny went to college to learn how to do food preserving. She majored in horticulture. There was very little she didn't know about the land and the plants and animals on it. I grew up learning how to hunt and fish for food. I learned the wonderful taste of frog legs. I learned how to go noodling. I knew every wild plant that could be eaten and how to make it taste good. The bad part about hunting is that you can wipe out a whole species really quick if you try to live on it and everyone else does too. That's why the age old practice of herding is essential. Fences, barns, and haylofts will get you through a lot of turmoil.

No doubt about it land is the ultimate insurance against the economy. I've made my plans for these events but I sure as heck hope I don't have to face it. My grandmother made me swear to never let the farm get out of the family so many times that I thought about having it tattooed on my forehead so she could just read my answer. Mankind can survive that way. They always have and in most places they still do. Maybe gold will hold it's value. Maybe it won't. But the plain fact is you're betting that society will collapse. That's not a good bet IMO. Elections come and go and the economy responds accordingly. If the economy gets going again, and in America it always does, you'll lose your money by keeping it in gold. Cash out now while you're ahead.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:03 PM  

+ 1 for a brilliant post!
Old 12-06-2010, 05:53 PM  

gold and silver

I have been doing the same thing? I just wonder how high these prices will go before leveling off or droppping

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Bookmark this Page!