Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2010, 09:25 PM  

you should look into the F>R swap, its a cheap way to lift your zj to get it to fit 32's easily.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:29 PM  

cincinnati, IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_posc View Post
I would probably try and go with a lift before cutting up my ride. I know it can be expensive but just take some time and save. Besides, you might have to sell it one day and it's going to be harder to sell a vehicle with alot of visual modifications.
+1 once you cut them you cant really go back

Old 01-21-2011, 06:24 PM  

Lexington, Kentucky
Here's a link to a 1" fender cut. I tried it and it was easier than it looked.
http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f6...k-flare-11498/

If you don't mind my opinion though; 2" coil spacers for the front.
For the rear: 1/2" leaf spacer + 1 - 1/2" shackles for the back.
purchase some hockey pucks for bump-stop additions and you'll be ready for tires around 32" tall.
Maybe no cutting of fenders required.

OR

Just relocate the flares about 3/4" higher than they are now. (easiest & fastest but only 3/4" clearance)
Old 01-25-2011, 08:44 PM  

Louisville, Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
Here's a link to a 1" fender cut. I tried it and it was easier than it looked.
http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f6...k-flare-11498/

If you don't mind my opinion though; 2" coil spacers for the front.
For the rear: 1/2" leaf spacer + 1 - 1/2" shackles for the back.
purchase some hockey pucks for bump-stop additions and you'll be ready for tires around 32" tall.
Maybe no cutting of fenders required.

OR

Just relocate the flares about 3/4" higher than they are now. (easiest & fastest but only 3/4" clearance)
ZJ's are coils in all four corners, so a leaf spacer and shackle would be kinda hard to do, lol.

On the plus side, 4 coil spacers is pretty darn cheap. For 2" spacers you shouldn't have to worry about track bar relocation or the like as it would most likely be negligable. The front suspensions of yours and mine (my XJ) are essentially the same, and my 2" spacer did not affect the axle center or caster noticeably. It probably needs an alignment, but its pretty good.

I know its a little old now, but ill give my .02 just in case.
If your set on cutting, an angle grinder with a cut off wheel, or a pnuematic one is used most often, however a sawzall or other reciprocating saw is also quite common. If it were me I would probably use a smaller reciprocating saw with a metal blade, or an electric nibbler.

An air chisel would be the meanest nastiest way I have heard of, and tin snips would be quite slow.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:00 PM  
Avast me hearties!

Spartanburg, SC
Recently I had a guy tell me his XJ had a body lift.After a few minutes of arguing with the dumb@$$,I ask to see his XJ.He did indeed have a body lift,but think more of a facelift or in his case a sheet metal lift.I think of a body lift as spacing the body off the chassis/frame like most of you.This guy did fold and tuck rear corners,rocker elimination,raised the rear wheel openings/fender wells,and also raised the front wheel openings/fender wells.It looked odd but kid of nice since they did the body work.Oh they also stretched the wheel wells and openings.He was running 37s on 4 inches of lift.I think the 37s were a little shorter than the stated size.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:23 PM  

Louisville, Kentucky
Trimming and folding is certainly not a body lift, I agree with you on that. XJ's (and ZJ's and WJ's etc.) are all unibody and can not have a body lift. However you certainly can fit larger tires by trimming. I don't know about zj's, but I have seen an xj trimmed to fit 37" tires with like a 1" budget boost. You loose a LOT of sheet metal but it can be done. However you open a whole new can of worms putting 37's on an stock vehicle designed for 28-30" tires.

FYI XJ's are NOT related to ZJ's AT ALL. A number of the replies have been with XJ information. They are totally different vehicles. They share the same front suspension design, thats about it (other than small stuff that is similar between a lot of jeeps of the era, like brake boosters, drivetrain etc.).
Old 02-05-2011, 01:23 PM  

Just get some coil spacers and shock extentions cheap at autozone /advanced

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.