Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2010, 09:24 AM  

Louisville, KY
I'll chime in. I'm in Louisville, frequent myoldkentuckyhomebrew alot (shout out).

Get a few more fermenters, that way if you are impatient, you can fiddle with the oldest one.

I do all grain, always 2ndary, then keg, I typically do a primary for 2 weeks, then a 2ndary until one of my kegs frees up, typically a 2 month overall schedule, allows for the really complex beers to finish out.

In recent memory I've done: brown sour, dry mead (champagne yeast), maple pumpkin brown, spiced xmas ale, bourbon barrel porter, raspberry strong ale, barleywine, dunkelweizen, chocolate milk coffee stout, coffee stout, nut brown, brooklyn ale clone, a spiced wit, quad IPA, saison, belgain strong

Old 11-29-2010, 12:15 PM  
Haz

Louisville, Kentucky
Just started a few months ago. Have a couple ciders, a bock, braggot and a few unsuccessful ales in bottles. Also have a mead on month 2 of fermentation.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:34 AM  

Mt. Vernon, Kentucky
I've actually been toying with the idea for as little while and had just said to Mrs. DJ that I'd like to start up a home brew thing here. I've looked around at different sites but many seem ot be of the mind set do it like this or it's crap.

Can anyone point me to any online resources that would be the best places to look for equipment? supplies?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:32 AM  

louisville, kentucky
I got myself a homebrew kit around this time last year and have added quite a bit of equipment since then. I only have around 10 batches under my belt so I'm still pretty fresh to the game.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:37 AM  

louisville, kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
I've actually been toying with the idea for as little while and had just said to Mrs. DJ that I'd like to start up a home brew thing here. I've looked around at different sites but many seem ot be of the mind set do it like this or it's crap.

Can anyone point me to any online resources that would be the best places to look for equipment? supplies?

Thanks in advance.
as far as equipment goes, rebelbrewer.com is a great site and they're located in Tennessee so shipping is pretty quick. As far as information goes, troll sites like homebrewtalk.com and read some books. If you do end up brewing, start with all-grain. It's not much more difficult than extract or partial and you learn much more about the process.
Good luck
Old 11-30-2010, 11:42 AM  

Bastrop, Tx, Texas
homebrewery.com
Old 11-30-2010, 03:12 PM  

Lexington, Kentucky
jrathfon how is myoldkentuckyhomebrew? I have never heard of it and the LHBS (LiquorBarn) shops here in Lexington lack the whole hops and yeast I need.

You know prices on base grains and such? Their website is under construction.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2010, 03:14 PM  

Lexington, Kentucky
I also use rebelbrewer and brewmasterwarehouse for grains and such. Can't beat flat rate shipping!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:50 AM  

danville, kentucky
i got some of my stuff from ebay and some from midwest brewers supply. i enjoy the hobby and last night i had 4 amarillo wheat beers and enjoyed them greatly.

man it is snowing here pretty good right now.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:17 AM  

Louisville, KY
agh, FARG. i just wrote a detailed response but wasn't logged in, said the message was "stored" but didn't post. so:

MOKHB is AWESOME. Paul the owner is a great guy. if you live in Louisville, you owe it to yourself to buy from him. there is no shipping, he's got similar prices to the online guys, plus you can fondle the hardware, and question Paul into submission, he's got a ton of knowledge.

he stocks tons of bulk grain, whole hops, pellet hops of tons of varieties, locally grown whole hops, local bulk honey, and all the hardware, new and used. he's got a keggle making connection, so you can buy a prebuilt keggle, or bring in your own keg to get cut and welded.

i used to use northern brewer when i shopped online and kegconnection for keg/tap parts, they are super cheap.

you can catch paul on facebook at "my old kentucky homebrew". "like" him or what have you and post up or message away with questions. he's a one man show, so holiday hours are a bit tough.

liquor barn is a sad state of affairs for homebrew supplies, but at least they are there for that random part at 10pm.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.