Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2010, 06:54 PM  

danville, kentucky
Power Generators

i went and picked up a harbor frieght 800watt genny on black friday. for the $89 i gave for it man it rocks. i want one around 2000 watts normal power not peak that isn't overly priced and will run a good while off a tank of fuel.

we have a 1500watt coleman we use at our cabin. it runs all the inside lights,tv,dvd/vcr and flood lights outside all at the sametime.

i'm wanting one that will run a few lights in my house, the frig,tv and dvd player at the sametime.

i have looked at 10,000 watt gennies, but the price to run one for a few days would kill a man in gas/fuel. i want just a smaller genny becuase i have another i can put on the deep freezers to keep them going. nothing over $350 guys. i can pick one up at harbor frieght for that price. i was just wondering about something by another name.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:35 PM  

Those small generators are a two stroke, aren't they? I personally did not want to fool around with mixing gas, so I purchased a 3500w generator, with a remote start and battery, for ~$400....shipped directly to my door from Costco.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:08 PM  

danville, kentucky
i'm looking for something to run at least 9 hours off a tank(no larger than 1.5 gallons like our coleman). a 2000 watt genny done right will run 9 hours off the loads i'll put on it in emergencies. the small one will run and keep my deep frezers frozen. a few hours a day will do that.

i have plenty of gas with stabil in it i set back last month and plenty of 2 stroke oil. mixxing doesn't bother me one bit. i do have a 5 gallon can of two stroke mixxed up with stabil in it as well. i'm a firm believer in stabil guys. it does work great let me tell you.

i just want it in case we gat another big storm and we lose power again for another week. a huge genny would brake the bank to run for a week. a smaller one with the right sized tank will not be as bad and i have enough gas set back to keep it going for a long long time.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 PM  

I understand your needs! What is the mix, 40 to 1?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:49 PM  

danville, kentucky
it is 50:1 but from everything i have read on other forums they say it runs better on 40:1. if you need a small genny i would say buy one. they are worth the money if you have a coupon for $89.00.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:52 PM  

I agree that with a two stroke generator, it would be better to run them a little rich, so 40:1 would sound appropriate, as long as it doesn't smoke you out.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:45 PM  

danville, kentucky
i'll have it on my back deck if i have to use it. that way it can't walk of in he night when we aren't using them.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:49 AM  

southeast, Ohio
I have a bigger generator but I would like to have a smaller one too. They can be very handy. I ended up with a big one because it was the only one I could find in the aftermath of a terrible ice storm that hit my area a few years back. I was able to run my refrigerator and freezer from it so it was nice to have a bigger one. But now it sits in my building waiting for me to start it up once a year or so just to keep it running. I think I could use a smaller one for camping etc.. I do use my bigger one for my business sometimes. When I need a lot of extra light for my cameras I will drag my generator with me and not have to depend on old wiring in an old house or whatever. Both sizes are good to have really.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:10 AM  

Because of this thread, it dawned on me that it had been a few months since it was started. I tried starting it with the electric starter, and found the battery dead. I charged the battery for about 10 minutes, and it started great! Unfortunately, after 10 seconds, a red light on the panel would activate, and the generator would shut down. I repeated my starting sequence about 10 times, and yet it still shut down on me.

This is when I opened up the instructions and saw a big, bold posting which stated the generator could not be charging while starting, or it would shut down for safety purposes.

I learned two things today:

1) Keep the generator charged up!
2) Know your generator and how it operates!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:09 AM  

danville, kentucky
yep. it is great to read the owners manual. i don't know how many people buy a genny and don't give it the propper brake in period. this could help extend the life span of your genny.

i'm going to pick up a 2000 watt genny friday. the place has them on clearance sale. i figure $199 plus $12 shipping id cheap enough.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Bookmark this Page!