Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2010, 10:08 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
How many Florida Expatriates have we got here in E TN?

Anyone having a hard time finding work?

Experience the good-ole-boy network of harassment and rejection yet?

I've been here three years and as long as I had money to spend they all loved me....but now....

I'm curious to know if there are others of me in this position after moving here from FL, as soon as I open my mouth the locals have be pegged. Have anyone of you ever thought we should network together to find work and offer services?

Scott

Old 10-21-2010, 02:47 PM  

Kingsport, Tennessee
where did you move from in Florida Scott ? I moved here in Jan from Melbourne , but I'm retired, so I have not found this to be so with me.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:44 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
Reb,
From the Cearwater area, lived there the first 42 of me 45 years. 26 years in the contruction industry....I'm an excellent finish man. Thought with all the stories of guys that don't show up and don't know what they are doing that I'd have no problem. Most of the work I have got was from non locals...others from other areas.

It's a long story but I took a factory job here with an international company....lead man didn't like me and put the word out...I didn't last 3 weeks before I was "released". I've talked to others who tell me that it's that way around here, if a guy has a good job he'll cut your throat if he thinks you may compete with him for it....also if you appear to have most of your teeth and half a wit.....you're SOL round here.

Scott
Old 11-18-2010, 08:44 PM  

The 'Noog
I personally grew up in NW GA, then moved to Florida, but then moved 30 miles north of where I started into E TN. Personally I haven't seen any problem like what you describe, but I'm in a different field.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:53 AM  

Knoxville, Tennessee
I grew up in South Florida; Coral Springs. I haven't had any problems letting that one slip, but then again its never come up. My bigger secret is that I'm only a few generations away from General William Sherman, who burned Atlanta to the ground during the Civil War. That's a tough one to live with in the south.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:18 PM  

Knoxville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSquash View Post
I grew up in South Florida; Coral Springs. I haven't had any problems letting that one slip, but then again its never come up. My bigger secret is that I'm only a few generations away from General William Sherman, who burned Atlanta to the ground during the Civil War. That's a tough one to live with in the south.
Good grief man I would not let that one out. My dearly departed Grandmother used to call it the "War between the states" She would not call it the Civil War. Her grandfather fought for four years with the 4th AL CSA

As for the FL thing. I lived in Jax for years and went to UNF. I have had no problems w/ the locals. To the OP, Are you from FL via Boston or NYC? If you are a very abrasive or in your face sort of guy, that may explain part of your problems. Or then again it may be because the construction business is completely tanked too. Oh & the toothless comment won't win you many friends either.

Alan
Old 12-27-2010, 08:33 AM  

Kingsport, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmurphy View Post
Reb,
From the Cearwater area, lived there the first 42 of me 45 years. 26 years in the contruction industry....I'm an excellent finish man. Thought with all the stories of guys that don't show up and don't know what they are doing that I'd have no problem. Most of the work I have got was from non locals...others from other areas.

It's a long story but I took a factory job here with an international company....lead man didn't like me and put the word out...I didn't last 3 weeks before I was "released". I've talked to others who tell me that it's that way around here, if a guy has a good job he'll cut your throat if he thinks you may compete with him for it....also if you appear to have most of your teeth and half a wit.....you're SOL round here.

Scott
man that sux, but I was born and raised here in N/E Tennessee, moved to Fl. in 1968 after coming home from the Marines and not finding a job. So after 42 years in Fl. I have lived more in Fl. then Tn.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 AM  

Knoxville, Tn
Sheetrock finishers are a dime a dozen, not to mention work is way slow. Not judging, but from your post it seems you have quite an attitude. I have some friends that had there own buisnees doing finish work, they both lost their homes, cars, and had to file bankruptcy due to the decline in work.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.