Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2011, 07:26 AM  

Fond du Lac, WI
henderson history

I was there in 1950 - 1955. there was a place called the BMI plant in henderson and a housing area called victory villiage. Are they still there? Know the BMI plant refined magnesium for the government and made fire bricks too. Magnesia I think. Anybody know anything about this?

old sgt

Old 01-24-2011, 04:29 PM  

Henderson, Nevada
oldsgt.: You are referring to the "Basic Magnesium, Inc.". They were a WW II Defense Contractor taking magnesium ore from the Three Kids Mine just to the East and refining it into usable forms. The housing area was called "Victory Village" and it is no longer in existence. The name survives in several forms, one of which is a large multistory apartment complex in approximately the same location.

The BMI Plant complex is now occupied by several large firms making various products. The largest is "Titanium Metals Inc" which reduces titanium ores down to titanium ingots which are shipped to titanium products manufacturers all over the world. The other firms are mostly chemical companies refining chemical products.

NevSmith, a native Nevadan

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Bookmark this Page!