Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Long Island
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2010, 09:59 AM  

New York, New York
Best Snowboarding/Skiing Near Long Island, NY?

What are some of the better snowboard and skiing mountains that arent too far from the island?
I like parks with good terrain sections

Old 11-16-2010, 10:13 AM  

Suffolk, NY
I used to ski at Vernon Valley in NJ and Shawnee in PA. I felt the trails were better at Vernon but Shawnee was just too close. About 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:56 AM  

Lake Ronkonkoma, New York
I used to go to Shawnee all the time with the local boy scouts, and had a blast there. Im rather certain there was a terrain park area on the mountain
Old 12-08-2010, 01:21 PM  

Port Jefferson, New York
North East skiing for over 28 years

The best and closest skiing to Long Island has to be Colorado! It is only a 4 hour plane flight and is bar none to anything in the North East. By the way it is cheaper to travel, lodge and ski for a week in the Rockies than it is in VT.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:48 AM  

New York
We usually go to Eagle Rock in PA. 3hr car ride, and they have nice slops and a half-pipe.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:16 AM  

Bayport, NY
thanks for the info
Old 12-28-2010, 01:19 PM  
AdironDoc

Nassau, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I used to ski at Vernon Valley in NJ.
I agree, Mountain Creek (formerly Vernon Valley), in Vernon, NJ is very close. From Long Island, around 1.5hrs. Always been a bit crowded for my taste. I also ski Hunter, Belleayre, Wyndham, and even Eagle Rock in PA like the other poster.

Of all regional parks, I'd choose Camelback in Tannersville, PA without hesitation. A straight shot across the George Washington puts you on I-80 west. A two hour drive from Nassau, you're there. Great park, great variety, friendly staff. Plenty of snowboarding options and terrain there.

Have fun!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:06 PM  

My favorites are in the poconos, about a 2-3 hour drive from LI. Big Boulder and Jack Frost mountain. There both pretty good, Jack frost being a little more intense, but they are owned by the same company and you can get a ticket in 1 and ski at the other. They are about 10 miles apart from eachother.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:16 PM  
Tom H

Babylon, NY
All really good mountains so far. good call adirondoc, I agree with your suggestions. Its not tooooo far, but Okemo in vermont is a sizeable mountain and i have had a lot of good times there. Im going to white face mountain in Lake Placid this weekend; a bit of a drive but so worth it : )
Old 01-23-2011, 10:21 PM  

pretty much all the close wothwhile mountains have been said, but just throwing it out there if youre looking for a good day trip check out the bus trips by sundown. its like $100 (includes lift ticket) to pretty much all the big vermont mountains. plus you can sleep on the way up, and on the way back. but if youre trying to do upstate NY i always really like belleayre

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Long Island
Bookmark this Page!