Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Long Island
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2010, 07:41 AM  

NY
Yeah I'm fairly new to homebrewing about 1 year, mini-mashes mostly. Depending on where you are you can get a nice starter kit (in person) in Islip at Arbor Wine & Beer.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:48 PM  

New York
I am in Carle Place and just finished my second All Grain batch. I wish there was a LHBS in Nassau County. I order must of my supplies via Austins or Midwest Supplies.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:59 PM  

Mineola, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by excaptn View Post
I am in Carle Place and just finished my second All Grain batch. I wish there was a LHBS in Nassau County. I order must of my supplies via Austins or Midwest Supplies.
Yeah, I live in Mineola. Karp Homebrew supply is 45 minutes East, and Brooklyn Homebrew is 45 minutes West. Karp is a nicer drive, but I like the personal touch and selection at Brooklyn. Does anybody know of any Homebrew Clubs here in Long Island? Would be great to get together with homebrewers and sample each others brews and discuss techniques.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:14 AM  

Miller Place, NY
petey_c (my name at HBT or Mr. Beer) here from Miller Place. I'm a member of B.E.E.R. but haven't been able to get to any of the meetings yet (joined in July '10). So I can't offer any advice. The membership card get you discounts to some beer distributors, restaurants and LBHSs (5% at Kedco or Karp's). Plus discounts at online Homebrew (Midwest and Northern) suppliers. I started out with a Mr. Beer in June and am doing mini-mashes now. Mr. Beer is a good way to start brewing, but I would leave the beer in the primary for 3 weeks and bottles for another three. My first batch (High Country Canadian Draft) was nothing to write home about. Now I'm going to start using them to experiment; a 5 gallon batch divided into two Mr. Beer kegs, with different yeasts or hops. I'm going to try and tweak my Mr. B process to see if it was something I was doing wrong. I also bought a Coopers kit that spurred me onto making the mini mashes. Overall, the Coopers kit makes better beer. Homebrewing is sorta like crack, I feel uneasy knowing I only have 5 gals in a primary right now. Friday I'll be making a Greenbelt Pale Ale from AHS. Right after I bottle, I want to start my next batch. Enough for now, I have to get ready for work.
BTW excaptn, any luck getting the kegs you were looking for?
Old 11-23-2010, 07:18 AM  

Suffolk, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigapunk View Post
Yeah, I live in Mineola. Karp Homebrew supply is 45 minutes East, and Brooklyn Homebrew is 45 minutes West. Karp is a nicer drive, but I like the personal touch and selection at Brooklyn. Does anybody know of any Homebrew Clubs here in Long Island? Would be great to get together with homebrewers and sample each others brews and discuss techniques.
There are a few. The biggest and the one I think I am going to join is B.E.E.R.
Brewers East End Revival.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:28 AM  

Forest Hills, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigapunk View Post
Does anybody know of any Homebrew Clubs here in Long Island? Would be great to get together with homebrewers and sample each others brews and discuss techniques.
Brewer's East End Revival is the biggie in the area. Though the Long Island Beer and Malt Enthusiasts are awesome too. That club isn't exclusive to homebrewing, and is also just about the craft beer in general.

Joining a club is great if you're interested in the industry.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:33 AM  

Just started homebrewing recently. Still working from kits, since there aren't any good supply shops right in my backyard, and the wife isn't yet ecstatic about me having found something else awesome to spend $$ on!
Old 11-24-2010, 07:11 AM  

Miller Place, NY
Yeah, I've found that it's easy to spend money on homebrewing. But, it does make better beer.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:56 AM  

Mineola, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidler View Post
Just started homebrewing recently. Still working from kits, since there aren't any good supply shops right in my backyard, and the wife isn't yet ecstatic about me having found something else awesome to spend $$ on!
Yeah the ingredients for a 5 gal batch are about $36. Which comes out to about $0.75 per beer. A hell of a lot less per bottle then I'm paying for $11 six packs of guiness. But I can't shake the feeling that it's false economy cuz everytime I go to the homebrew store I walk out $200 lighter!
Old 11-24-2010, 10:02 AM  

Miller Place, NY
gigapunk, I've reached a plateau (for now) with my homebrewing. I'm comfortable with mini-mashes, but I'm always thinking about upgrading. It'd be nice If I could dedicate more space to brewing. My wife is complaining now about using "her" storage space. I may brew some AHS Greenbelt Pale Ale in a couple of hours when the in-laws get back.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Long Island
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.