Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Long Island
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2010, 08:44 PM  

Rocky Point
15 gallons will be good for me until I get back from IRE. I'll brew my Amber in Jan. I am still brewing an IPA for a friend weds. When I get back I will order a couple of kits. I may bottle my Winter IPA (whose simcoe hops make it taste like dogfish 60 minute IPA--my pint in syracuse). I had to tlake some time off to do things like pay the bills.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:40 PM  

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Islip NY here. Brewing for about 8 years All Grain. Don't know of too many brewers here on Long Island. Good to see there are more out there.
I grew up in Islip. I wonder if I know you.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:44 PM  

New York
I've been homebrewing for a little over a year now. I brew both extract and mini-mash beers. They've been getting better and better.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:55 PM  

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Is there a major/any difference in dry v. liquid yeast?
Depends on the type of yeast. When I brew weizens I stick with liquid yeasts. They tend to be better for weizens. However I use Danstar Nottingham dry yeast for most of my ales. I love the stuff.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:57 PM  

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanelec2 View Post
attackcammel, I got restarted with a Mr Beer last Christmas. Brewed in June and moved onto a Coopers kit (5 Gal.). Much better than Mr. Beer. Comes with almost everything you'd need, for about $100.00. With the extract (only) kits you don't really need one.
Walt, I have a small digital thermometer. I also bought a dial therm. but haven't used it yet. Had a Holiday Ale last night. Mmmm, much better than my first. I guess you're talking about Sunflower Supplies? I saw their website, googled the address, but it doesn't seem (based on what little knowledge I have of that area) like they have a "physical" store. Their price for the immersion chiller is about $15 cheaper than Karp's, which is still cheaper than other places I've seen.
I've been experimenting with bottling in 20 oz. coke bottles. So far, so good. No off flavors or skunking.

Get yourself some corny kegs. Kegging is so much easier than bottling.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:25 PM  

Long Island, NY
Hiya all,

Just signed up here. I'm in Farmingville and just started home brewing a few months ago. I've since accumulated enough stuff where you'd think I've been in the hobby for years. Much to my wife's dismay. Next on my list is a kegging setup.

I just did my first all grain brew this past Sunday. It's a Kolsh. Normally I drink darker beers but I thought I would change it up a bit and make a lighter refreshing type brew. Especially since those are the types of beers my wifes likes. Might make the sting of a kegging setup a little easier to bear if she enjoys what comes out of it.

The all grain was much easier than I thought it would be. I hit my target OG right on.

I've got two more kits on the way and an Oatmeal Stout partial mash bottle conditioning now. That one I had a few problems with so I'm interested to see how it will turn out.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:43 AM  

Suffolk, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedTail View Post
I grew up in Islip. I wonder if I know you.
I actually grew up in Deer Park but moved to Islip about 6 years ago.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:51 PM  

Miller Place, NY
Crooked Tail, I tried responding to you earlier, but didn't save my reply and it got deleted.
I have three kegs, but have to replace the gaskets first before I try kegging. Right now bottling for me isn't a complete PIA. I use mostly 16 Oz. PET bottles, so the bottling process isn't quite as difficult or long as capping 12 "ouncers". I can't see any difference between PET bottles or glass as far as taste is concerned, with the brews I've made so far. It reminds me of the natural/synthetic cork argument France is embroiled in...
Pete
Old 12-28-2010, 08:39 AM  

levittown, ny
levittown homebrew amateur

Been interested in homebrewing for the past 2-3 years but never had space to start my own actaul brew. Just ordered starter kit and plan on doing it when it gets here
Old 12-28-2010, 05:33 PM  

Blue Point, New York
I love to homebrew!

Hi, I enjoy a good homebrew.....and even brewing my own. LOL I have been brewing on and off for a few years and got my first 'taste' of it about a decade ago....I find that winter is more of a time for me to enjoy the process. I'd love to get into all-grain....just don't feel ready quite yet. I'm still at the point where I hope (but don't quite know) that all my brews come out good.....or at least drinkable!

Cheers!
_John

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Long Island
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads