Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Long Island
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2011, 05:22 PM  

Rocky Point
I think I am in love: AHS Winter IPA. Next up, some of tru brew IPA (that was dryhopped), then Blueberry Vanilla Wheat, and Irish Red (AHS). Just bought a 50's fridge for a kegerator, will buy the 2 tap special for 190 off ebay ASAP.

So that Greenbelt IPA is good. What hops did you use?

Old 01-24-2011, 05:18 AM  

Miller Place, NY
Walt, The AHS recipe calls for 1.25 oz. Chinook (@60 min.), 1/4 oz. Chinook. 1/2 oz. Amarillo and 1/2 Simcoe (@ 15 Min.) and 1/2 Chinook (@5 min.). Then dry hop with 1/2 oz. each of Amarillo and Simcoe. I dry hopped at about day 10 of a 3 week primary. I just brewed an AHS Smithwick's clone yesterday. I'd also planned to do an Bud Amber Clone, but got a late start. I didn't want to be brewing during the beginning of the Jets game. Turns out, I would've been better off brewing instead of watching...

Old 01-25-2011, 05:54 PM  

Rocky Point
Picking up Fridge this week sometime, my tranny dropped and the snow is affecting delivery. I might buy the 2 tap set up from ebay for 189. But it has the different style keg top: Pintle? or something. As you can see IDK. I think it's just awkward because you (I think) need a rachet to close it. That Greenbelt sounds good--I guess you would recommend it. I like simcoe--I think dogfish 60 min. ect minute uses it. Hopefully some people who owe me some money do the right thing so I can get the taps flowing.....
Old 01-28-2011, 05:03 AM  

Miller Place, NY
Yeah, I think I've had enough snow for this year. I started thinking about our upcoming block party while I was running the snow blower. I never considered my self a "hop head", but the last two "hoppy" recipes I made (Greenbelt and PSA IPA) have been great. I would definitely recommed either one. I haven't been doing this long enough, where I can tell the difference in hop types. They all look like green rabbit poop to me. I'll be off again this Monday, so it's time to brew again, since my second fermenter has been empty for about 10 days now. I believe an "Amber Ale" is in the batting circle.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:40 AM  

Miller Place, NY
Oh good, more snow.. I think I'll head into Nassau to take care of some things then brew some beer.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:56 AM  

Rocky Point
Just sampled my blueberry vanilla wheat beer. Should be called a vanilla wheat although the wheat is mostly gone and the blueberry is only hinted. I only used 1 oz in the bottling bucket of pure van. extract. I am surprised after 1 week of carbonation. I though I was going to hate it--it's very drinkable, and may be a hit. I only have an Irish red in the primary (needs to go to the secondary). I have 3 kits to brew, one will be this weekend. I am going to even do a Heinekin Clone and lagar in my basement--maybe my kegorator. What is the PSA IPA? Where did you buy it? I have some true brew IPA that's conditioned nicely (thank god). It contained a 1/2 oz of oak chips (in the primary). Not very hoppy even though I dry hopped it and it did not call for it. We have been going slow here due to a stomach virus. I still have not picked up my fridge. Not to mention 2 car repairs.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:08 PM  

Miller Place, NY
Walt, I actually picked up the PSA IPA at Arbor's in Islip. It was produced by Brewer's Best for "Pints for Prostates" for Prostate Awareness Month (Sept.). You can still pick them up online. The test for prostate cancer is the PSA test (Prostate-Specific Antigen). I believe it was somewhere around $35-40. I liked it so much, I bought a second. Hopefully tomorrow morning, I'll brew my American Amber clone. I have to work 3p-1a until Tuesday morning, so no Super Bowl parties for me. I was surprised to see how the bitterness of an IPA fell off over time. I'm due to bottle my Smithwick's clone in a week or so, maybe I'll do one of the kits I have left; 1 PSA IPA , 2 Coopers Heritage Lagers. The Coopers are lagers in name only. I'll continue to do (partial) ales for a little while longer before I venture into all grain or lagers. Hope everybody at home gets over the stomach virus soon. It's no fun leaving a boil to head to the bathroom all the time....
Old 02-06-2011, 02:52 PM  

Rocky Point
I just did my tax receipts! I read that that the India Pale Ale would lose there hops during the voyage to England. I think they just loaded them up huge. I only have a crappy, I mean crappy Tru brew IPA (It makes me not want to drink beer), and my vanilla wheat ready. The wheat is one for the mood. I plan on getting the Kegorator going in 10 days so then there is no point to bottling my Irish Red, or possibly ever use a secondary? I want to brew my next batch w/my brother's turkey fryer outside. So I am hoping on decent weather. All is healthy anyway.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:10 PM  

Miller Place, NY
Sorry for the long response delay. Glad to hear everybody's on the mend again. Yeah, I'd read that the Brits added hops as a preservative. You'd probably have a serious "pucker factor" if you drank the beer just out of England. Bottled a Smithwick's clone, brewed AHS American Amber and Coopers Heritage Lager with some additional hops in a 20 min., boil since this weekend. I had a 1/2 oz. Kents and 1/4 0z. Fuggles hops left over from other recipes and decided to use them with the Coopers. Better that than have them go to waste. I've never used a secondary, but might if I make a fruit-y beer. Yeah, Gotta start the tax stuff soon....
Old 02-19-2011, 12:11 PM  

Rocky Point
Blueberry-vanilla wheat is good. However, it's the only beer I have so it's okay. My friend love's it. It's a fu fu beer for sure. Need to order the fridge conversion. When that comes I will have Irish Red and Sam Adams Clone on Tap! I may brew Heiniken Lager today, or tomorrow. BTW I used my brother's Turkey fryer (~$60) and it took off close to an hour of the brewing and kept the smell out of the house. Let me know how the smithwick's clone is.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Long Island
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads