Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Long Island
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2011, 03:58 PM  

i wanna start .. now i can ask u guys for help

Old 02-27-2011, 08:08 PM  

Rocky Point
brewed AHS White Beer today--Struggling with "lagering/daic..rest" with my Heinikin clone. I have been fermenting it for 7 days. But I cooled it already, and it's bubbling like mad. So I am going to heat it up, then cool it for lagaring 1 day after it stops bubbling. I hope there is room in my kegorator.

Waiting for Keg Stuff:
Secondary: AHS Irish Red, AHS Sam Adams clone,
Primary: AHS White Beer, Heiniken Clone.
Bottled: Blueberry-Vanilla Wheat (tastes like a good whine cooler/beer. Actually pretty good)

Old 02-28-2011, 02:56 PM  

I'm from Lindenhurst, and i've been brewing for 2+ years now.
in two weeks i'm brewing up my Oktoberfest.
i cant wait!
Old 02-28-2011, 03:25 PM  

Miller Place, NY
Hey Walt (and everybody else, for that matter), have you been reading the posts on HBT about people who bought from AHS in Jan. (mostly) who had their CC info hacked? Ya might wanna keep a close eye on your account. They started out small with test charges ($1-$5), if they worked, they went for much larger $$$. It looks like everyone got re-imbursed but it could be a PITA. Ever have a credit card number stolen??? - Home Brew Forums
I wanted to try lagering but, since it looks like we're starting to head into spring, I'm gonna wait until late fall this year. Also trying to decide what to brew next. Tried a Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA last night (actually it was this morning (1:30)). Not bad, but since I bought it at the 7-11 near 495, I paid $10.00 for a six. I had an Abita Purple Haze over the summer. Not bad, but not something I'd drink all night.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:47 AM  

Rocky Point
Yesterday, I had 4 beers lined up with NBrewer and ABH. Not knowing which one to go with. I want to get the coopers drops for individualized bottling, but I like the 1% alc. boost (can't believe it does not affect flavor: Sam Clone and Irish Red) from AHS. I thind NB is cheaper, but I their kits (I think) are more extract. I like the mini mash from AHS. So what to do? I went with my gut, and what has been a good thing? AHS-------Yeap, my CC Info was stolen last mos. but I didn't realize. They posted about 4k, and the bank took care of it. Thanks for the warning.... I probably would of his the other ckout button if I knew.
So I got my kegerator going with AHS Irish Red and Sam A ale clone. Wonderful! Both have the alc. boost, and pack a punch--which is good because the parade is this weekend. My wife has tolerated my brewing, but Now she demands the Irish Red as a House Beer! BTW pouring pint from your own tap--priceless. Although the price was $300 from kegconnection (ebay) and $80 for old school fridge (50's or early 60's). I can fit 3 kegs in the fridge, so I have room to expand. The CO2 would have to be in outside. I am completing my basement, and have been relatively busy. BTW NB has a $20 computer program to make your own receipe's that has outstanding reviews (there is another program too mentioned in the reviews). I may go there after these 4 kits are drank in the summer. I bet it's cheaper to buy ingredients. Kind of cool to handcraft a kit, and nobody on the planet is drinking it but you. So that's my story of my new found addiction. I may rack my AHS Wit today. Also I put too much water in the Irish Red, and have some left over after kegging--damn. BTW, kegging is the way to go.

Wife's Tap: AHS Irish Red,
My Tap: Sam A. Ale Clone (i screwed up the hops addition, So I don't know how close it is to the real thing)
Bottled: 6 pack of Blueberry Vanilla Wheat

Primary:AHS Wit, Heinikin About to be lagered (somehow) I would be in good shape to keep the taps flowing if I was not messing around with lagering.

In Mail: All AHS (I steal your CC Info): British IPA (to be dry hopped with 1oz Nugget), Hopped Brown Ale (I hear dogfish has something like this), Irish Red, and Texas Red.

Gallons Brewed this year: 20

I will try to post pic of kegerator
Old 03-10-2011, 12:03 PM  

Miller Place, NY
I tested AHS and ordered three more brews; Bud American Ale, Guinness Foreign Extra Stout clones and an English Honey Bitter Ale. No one stealing my CC info.... They have a 20th Anniversary sale going on Austin Homebrew Supply 20 different types of beer kits (extract, mini mash, or AG) for $20. All in all, you'll save anywhere from $6 to $13 on a kit. ('cause you still have to get the add-ons, yeast strain, yeast fuel, priming sugar, etc..)
Yeah the keg sounds great, I just wish I had the room. I just have to rotate my stock in the beer fridge.
I have the reserves Sunday, so I'll miss the parade. Saturday I'll be working in Scott's beach.
I did a side by side test with SWMBO last night for my Boddington's clone. The real Bod.'s had me on clarity and head retention, but I had it on taste. Tonight will be the Smithwick's taste test. I'm off tomorrow, so I hope to bottle 10 gallons. I'll probably do 5 gals before my wife goes to work and then 5 gals after she's gone. There's not enough room in the kitchen for us both to be working at the same time.
I decided to give up junk food and egg sandwiches for Lent. I thought about giving up beer and then decided to be realistic....
Old 03-10-2011, 03:32 PM  

Rocky Point
I have the same result with the sam a. clone. I even used whirlfoc and geletin. Who cares? Mine tastes better and has more alc. The commercial beers are just crystal clear. My AHS WIT is Hogarden, and they are a session beer because the taste diminishes with age. I just got my kits, I may brew Sat. if possible. I got 2 coupons from AHS. I complain that I was insulted when they offered 10% by March 31st. I said I get screwed now you are doing a marketing scheme to get me to buy more! He said it was a blanket coupon because they don t know who got cc info stolen. So he sent me a 15% and a 10% good for the year. Disappointed about lagering temps.

Ever brew a N.Brewing kit?
Ever check out Mr Beersmith software? $20 and it does a lot. I may go off kits if I can figure it out and design my own beer--they ck the parameters for you to see if it will fit into what you are trying to brew. There is a free download for 21 days.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:01 PM  

Astoria, New York
I don't mean to spam the thread, but wanted to quickly, and hopefully unobtrusively, announce our addition to the community. We (goodbrewing) are a homebrew store located in Astoria, Queens. Our inventory runs the gamut, so if you guys ever need anything, we'd love to hear from you.

On a separate note, and more directly related to the thread, we just bottled a Rogue Dead Guy a week ago and are anxious to try it. We are thinking to brew a wormwood ale this weekend. Does anyone have any experience with wormwood? We hear it's pretty bitter...
Old 03-10-2011, 06:22 PM  

Miller Place, NY
goodbrewing, If I still lived in Woodhaven, I'd head up there. Living out near Pt. Jeff' since '86. The cost of the ride to Astoria is prohibitive. Best of luck with the business. Sorry, no experience with wormwood. Pete
Old 03-12-2011, 06:22 PM  

Rocky Point
brewed ahs texas red today. Added some hops to for 60 mins.

Goodbrewing what's the address?

Ready to party tomorrow at the Parade!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Long Island
Bookmark this Page!