Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Los Angeles
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2010, 12:28 AM  

Pasadena, CA
Going to visit the Los Angeles area. What is there to do?

We all have out of town guests, & this is the regular question. To get the ball rolling, here's my list prepared for another forum. I'm a Ford guy, so some of my list leans in that direction. What do you recommend to out of town guests?

-Eat at In-N-Out while you're here. It's just a drive thru burger joint, but it's part of being in California. If the menu seems too short, ask for a 4x4 if you're hungry, the Flying Dutchman for an odd surprise, or Fries Animal Style just because. Whatever you do, don't leave the empty box in your car.

-Catalina Island -Sort of touristy, but, then again, you are a tourist. The boat (1 hour) or the helicopter (15 minutes) leaves from Long Beach. Everything is pretty much within walking distance, with the exception of the helicopter pad (I've walked it, but it's a good walk). If you take the helicopter, there are taxis available to get into town. At the North end just barely outside of town there's Descanso Beach which is cool for kicking back (There's an open air bar on the beach) or kayaking. Back to middle & South side of town there's parasailing, glass bottom boats, flying fish boats after dark, snorkeling, restaurants overlooking the ocean, golf cart rentals (The primary form of transportation in Avalon), & Big Olaf's ice cream. Check to be sure whatever your interested in is running currently (More stuff is usually open in the warmer months). Live camera feed. (We used to provide support for a swing dance camp there every year, & got to goof off after it was over. It was a lot of fun.)

-Queen Mary -In Long Beach, you can tour the ship, & they have a Russian sub there too. If you're not really into these sort of things, it's a little dull.

-Petersen Automotive Museum -I've haven't been yet, but friends say it's good.

-Speedzone -Timed driving of small race cars on a dragstrip or road course. Mini Indy cars & mini 70mph dragsters.

-Irwindale Speedway -1/2 Mile Oval on Saturday nights ($15 General, $25 reserved) & the 1/8 Mile Dragstrip on Thursday nights ($10 to watch, $20 to run. I suppose the rental car company wouldn't approve).

-Medievil Times -Dinner & show with knights jousting.

-Planes of Fame Air Museum in Chino -Sort of far, but I enjoyed it. Eat at Flo's if you go.

-Sea World -Down in San Diego. Big fish type critters.

-Skiing or snowboarding in Wrightwood or Big Bear during the Winter.

-Huntington Beach -Beach, pier & small town. Usually something going on. Looks like they're doing Surf City Nights on Tuesdays. Wahoo's fish tacos.

-Santa Monica. Pier & beach. Usually some surfers in the water. Live pier camera

-Warner Brothers Studios tour. $48 for a 2-1/2 hour tour in 2010. The tour varies day to day depending on what's being filmed.

-Universal Citywalk is interesting (If you want to see lots of people) & free if you don't buy anything, except for the $10 to park. [Grandpa McCoy voice] That's where them youngfolk go & just hang around. [/voice]

-Pasadena's Rose Parade. December 31/Jan 1 (Unless the 1st is on Sunday, then it's Jan 2). Camp overnight on the curb & watch a parade with a million of your closest friends. Or buy grandstand seating & be above the crowd.

-NHRA Drag Racing at Pomona -February & November. There's nothing like the sound of a wide open top fuel dragster. We could hear them from our house when we lived about 8 miles away.

-Nascar racing at the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana. February & October.

-Fabulous Fords Forever. In April. All Ford car show at Knott's Berry Farm. Some of our local FSBs are usually in the show. Well worth going if you're here at the right time.

-LA County Fair -In Pomona. If you like fairs, this is the bigun. September 4 - October 3, 2010. NHRA drag racing museum, old trains, live concerts, a bunch of exhibit buildings, animals, rides, Mexican village, garden stuff, fine arts, barkpark (With dog stunt shows), blacksmiths, & on & on.

The usual theme parks
-Knotts Berry Farm -Personal preference. Has the ghost town & old west stuff as well as rides. Ghost rider :thumbup.
-Disneyland/California Adventure -It's Disneyland, what more can you say?
-Six Flags Magic Mountain -I haven't been on X2 yet, but X1 was something else:shocked. X2 is supposed to be more so. Lots of other good rides too.
-Universal Studios. -Movie making stuff & rides. Haven't been in years. That's where Citywalk is located.

And there's ThingsToDo.com for LA, Orange County, San Diego , or the Inland Empire all close enough to drive to, depending on your time.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:18 AM  

^ Thank you for this posting. I know it took you quite a bit of time to put together and we appreciate it. As far as Flo's, I will have to agree. They have the best biscuits and gravy west of the Atlantic Coast!

Old 09-30-2010, 07:29 PM  

Pasadena, CA
Yes, I get the biscuits & gravy every time we're there, including last weekend. We go just for the drive & breakfast sometimes. Karen's Coffee Cup in Roseburg Oregon has great biscuits & gravy too, but the drive is a bit much for most weekends.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:01 AM  

Glendora, CA
As professional Photographer, LA is heaven for subjects and amazing photographs. I am always out and about discovering this city.

Some of my fav sites to view events to visit are:

Yelp's LA Events Listing.
Los Angeles Events, Concerts, Film, Nightlife, Festivals & More | Yelp

L.A. Times Calendar of Events.
Los Angeles Events & Festivals | Find Local Los Angeles

LA Weekly Event Calendar.
Los Angeles Events Calendar - Los Angeles Entertainment Guide

Eye Spy LA Event Calendar.
Eye Spy LA Things to Do in Los Angeles

Experience LA: LA's Official Cultural Calendar
Experience LA: Official Cultural Calendar of Events for LA County (Art, Music, Theater, Festivals, Parades, Sporting Events, Attractions) - Official Cultural Event Calendar of Los Angeles County

Discover Los Angeles: General tour guide site.
discoverLosAngeles.com - LA Inc

KTLA Community Calendar.
Community Calendar - ktla.com
Old 10-07-2010, 04:00 PM  
California Jeepin'

Magalia, CA
You forgot to mention The Hollywood Bowl or the Ronald Reagan Library. I hear the Ren Faire is lots of fun as well.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:53 PM  

nantucket, MA
Hermosa beach pier. Its really nice around the redondo/torrance area. Must see !!!
Old 10-09-2010, 02:26 AM  

Los Angeles, California
As in a Renaissance Fair?? That'd be fun
Old 10-09-2010, 08:21 AM  

I've always liked the Huntington Library. Some real great art, including "The Blue Boy" and other antiquities.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:54 AM  
California Jeepin'

Magalia, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsonvogt View Post
As in a Renaissance Fair?? That'd be fun
Yep, that's the one.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:00 AM  

Bakersfield, california
Sea World in San Diego, plus a SD Padres post season game!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Los Angeles
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads