Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Los Angeles
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2010, 12:18 AM  

Valencia, California
Is solar really worth it?

I own a house in Valencia CA and I recently installed a 6400 KW solar system
(32 Sanyo 175w high efficency panels) with a sunnyboy 7k inverter and my energy savings have been poor. Since I have had the system in place I have made 10875kw but I dont feel like my energy savings have reflected that. If anyone has any solar stories or input I would love to hear you comments. Thanks in advance

Old 10-12-2010, 12:58 AM  

Valencia, California
One other thing that I forgot to write about is let me know what you guys think about time of use meters and net meters. I switched to a time of use meter but with solar im not sure its worth it.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:36 AM  

Bakersfield, Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_tall_jeep View Post
One other thing that I forgot to write about is let me know what you guys think about time of use meters and net meters. I switched to a time of use meter but with solar im not sure its worth it.
It is definitely worth it. The time of use meter will allow you to get paid more when usage around you is higher.

I'm not sure when you installed your solar, but you will really get a savings during summer when all your neighbors are running their AC. You will consume more power in the winter when the days are shorter, and the sun less intense. During the summer, when the sun is up there longer, and brighter, your panels will produce more power at a time when the power grid needs the input.

Solar systems cost around $15k. It will take a long time to pay itself off, but it will eventually. My apartment is only about $60 per month for gas and electric. It would take me 21 years to pay for it assuming I used no grid power whatsoever (which is impossible).

Another thing: watch your usage. Some of the biggest misconceptions amongst people who put in solar is that they can use more power now, because they aren't paying for it. As you will quickly realize, you are paying for it.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:33 PM  

Lancaster, CA
Solar is worth it if you live in the desert where it is sunny all the time.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:29 PM  

Whittier, CA
My monthly electric bill is between $50-$60 all year long. I dont think solar or wind would be worth it to me. But I have a small house with no A/C and no pool. If I was a bigger user it might be worth it.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:44 AM  

LA, CA
I've thought about setting it up at my house. How do the tax credits work?
Old 11-03-2010, 03:36 PM  

Granada Hills, CA
Solar in the San Fernando Valley

Hello!

Installed solar in Granada Hills, and really like it. At the time (Nov 2006) it was costing about $9k per 1kW before rebates. We put in a 3 kW system as we were using an average (over a year) of about 20 kW per day. The house is about 2100 sq. ft. and the A/C runs at 78 degrees (we use ceiling fans as well). The temparature gets to about 110 degrees outside in the middle of the Summer. Our power bill is about $30 a month.

When it is really hot outside, the solar panels are not that efficient. If one watches the inverter while it is cool outside, but really bright, you will see what I mean.

Regards,

Emil
Old 11-18-2010, 05:06 PM  

Pomona
Solar energy is the way to go, just waiting for it to become more affordable
Old 11-18-2010, 07:00 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSARG1 View Post
Solar is worth it if you live in the desert where it is sunny all the time.
There is no night time in the desert?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:03 PM  

Lancaster, Ca
I live out here in Lancaster and all the schools and public building are going solar, I think its a HUGE WASTE of tax payers money. Its a big eye sore IMO. I have seen homes that have black roof tiles that are solar that are built into the standard tiles and those look good. Just not sure how effective they really are. I think in the future solar will be a great alternative as price comes down on it.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Los Angeles
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads