Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Los Angeles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2011, 12:53 AM  

Lots to do, and generally good weather. Can't stand the traffic and crowdedness though, but I get used to it.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:36 PM  

Pasadena, California
Weather and cosmopolitan feel.

Mountains, beach, etc.

Just wish the transit system would get up to speed sooner.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:44 PM  
Nobody

California
There is many things to do in the LA area. The weather tends to be pretty good, when it is not too hot, but there are far too many rude and inconsiderate people. The reasons I have not moved is because of family and the pay tends to be better here.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:17 AM  

Long Beach, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistDaemon View Post
but there are far too many rude and inconsiderate people.
I guess it depends on location. I live in Long Beach, maybe that is its own little world.? I travel a bit and I am a runner, so I come across a lot of people when out jogging. I have heard the steriotype that LA people are rude, but in my experience, I find more people here say hello, smile, and/or wave when I pass.
I was in Hawaii recently with a friend and we both noticed how few people said hello when we passed, even if we said it first.
There are different times and places for all types, but I have found people here are generally pretty friendly.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:24 AM  
Nobody

California
There are many friendly people, depending on what you are doing, but consider many of the people on the road who just don't care if they cut you off, they are just concerned about themselves.

That is not to say that overall the drivers in LA are bad or worse than other places, since that is not the case.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:41 PM  

I think your question is legitimate. The wife and I were seriously considering moving to the "country" because we were sick of LA and the lack of beauty but were stuck because we bought our first home at the peak of the market. I realized how bless I am with have all types of terrain all around me within an hour or so reach (Beach, mountain, desert, and everything). There is also great academic and spiritual resources that few others can claim.....
Old 02-01-2011, 03:19 PM  

I'm on the outskirts of la..but for me it is the weather and all the outdoor activities that one can do in the sun!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:17 PM  

We're sort of stuck here for now. Kids in school, etc. My family's been here since the early 1920's, but when the timing is right, I think we'll be leaving. Its not that I don't like all of the features and benefits others have mentioned, its just that I'm beginning to feel a prisoner of gridlock. When the mountains were an hour and a half away was great - now, when a drive from west LA to Pasadena can easily take that long, I find I tend to go out and do less because I hate wasting time in the car.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:05 PM  

Crescent City, Ca
I left Los Angeles a year ago and I'm so very happy I did. I'm still in California but right on the Oregon border. I've wanted to get away from LA for a long time. I have a toddler and he is the motivation that got me to finally do it.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:27 AM  

I wanted to add something else to my last post. I very much enjoy the diversity of the neighborhoods, the ethnic food, and the cosmopolitan feel. I don't mind that LA, as a New Yorker friend of my put it, "has evolved into a flat New York". I just wish the light rail transit system and bicycle infrastructure (bike lanes, bike roads, etc) was more evolved so I wasn't stuck using my car all the time to move around. In short, I wish LA was more "user friendly".

I read recently - I don't remember where exactly - that LA was ranked as the rudest city in North America. I'm not surprised. I think that has a lot to do with that lack of user friendliness of So Cal in general. Being trapped in a private metal can in traffic for 45 minutes or more as a prelude to doing most anything would make the denizens of any city pretty surly.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Los Angeles
Bookmark this Page!