Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maine
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2010, 07:57 PM  

The fortune cookie in Windham. The best Chinese food I've ever eaten.

Margaritas in Portland. For some reason I can't find Mexican like that anymore.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:23 AM  

Calais, Maine
The Pickled Herring is absolutely fabulous in Eastport! A wide variety of choices and the staff is pleasent. The only drawback is it can be a bit pricey at times.

Another great place to eat is the Chowder House in Eastport. Prices are reasonable, but the food can be hit or miss....depending on the season.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:11 AM  

Portland, Maine
Fore Street in Portland. The Frog and Turtle in Westbrook. When I'm in the mood for a pub with a nice local atmosphere I go to Andy's in Portland.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:32 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineZJ View Post
Becky's Diner in the Portland Old Port is good
I've also found Gritty's to have some really good food.
Becky's is incredible for breakfast, particularly if you like fruit bowls. Joe's Boathouse in South Portland is another. Say hi to Randy, the chef.

Moody's diner in Waldoboro is a classic.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:48 PM  

New York and Maine
Jay's Oyster Bar in Portland. They have a great scallop cocktail

There's also a a super Thai place accross from the art school at the south end of town.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:38 AM  

Bangor, Maine
The Havana in Bar Harbor is hands down the best place I have ever eaten in Maine.

As far as Bangor goes, Fiddleheads, and Massimo's are solid as well.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:52 PM  

Pittsfield, Maine
Deli

While in the Waterville area, if you want an amazing sandwich go to Big G's Deli. My Favorite Sandwich "Dr. Stangepork"
Old 12-09-2010, 01:26 AM  

Greene, Maine
Will let you know when i find one. Being a transplant i've ate better food elsewhere. Or just don't understand the food. Like a Italian i dont see or taste anything special about them. Must be a maine thing.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:32 PM  

Bangor, Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iret View Post
Will let you know when i find one. Being a transplant i've ate better food elsewhere. Or just don't understand the food. Like a Italian i dont see or taste anything special about them. Must be a maine thing.
Having lived all around the country, I understand your angle. There's nothing like mexican food from Arizona.... I see Margarita's was mentioned earlier in the article. After eating Mexican food in AZ and Colorado, I almost laugh when I read that folks think they have amazing mexican food up here in Maine hehe.

My experience with food in New England is that it is more bread-based and much sweeter on the pallet than midwest and south-western usa food. SW/MidWest food is much spicier and a little dryer... by dryer I mean not as much butter/grease/oil in the food once it's served.... doesn't mean it's not deep-friend in lard... just means it's not as drippy or sitting in a puddle... also, this is a generalization... not a rule.

Pizza out west tends to have a more floury flavor and the sauces are much spicier... like salsa-spicier, in new england, the dough has more of a sweet-ish tang and the sauces are saltier/sweeter.

In new england, seafoods and breads are very much a part of every-day meals. In the mid west, seafood is a rarity; red meat and corn/potato-based side dishes are much more predominant. In the south-west, red vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, onions, ect.) and rices are much more a major part of meals.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:43 PM  

Portland, Maine
Since I live in Portland, I think I will just recommend locals....

Otto/Enzo- NY Style Pizza
Bonobo - Fresh, Creative, Pizza that rivals Flatbread
Duckfat - Belgian style Fries, and excellent Panini's (using the fat of ducks)
Nosh - Sandwiches and sides (seen on Man Vs. Food)
Po' Boys N' Pickles - Southern Style Louisiana Cuisine

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maine
Bookmark this Page!