Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maine
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2010, 10:01 AM  

Rockland, Maine
Hiking in Maine

What are your favorite hiking trails in Maine? Post pics if you can.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:48 AM  

Burnham, Maine
i would say that my favorite trail is cathedrial trail on mt katahdin hike it twice a year summer sand sometimes winter
or the cutler bold coast trail
Hiking in Maine-dsc00286.jpg 

Hiking in Maine-dsc00298.jpg 

Hiking in Maine-p2070012.jpg 

Old 10-15-2010, 04:07 PM  

Waterville, ME
Borestone Mountain Sanctuary

Borestone Mountain Sanctuary is awesome this time of year. Here is an excerpt from their home page.....

Encompassing more than 1,600 acres in Maine's Hundred-Mile Wilderness region, Borestone Mountain Audubon Sanctuary offers a spectacular array of natural features, including rare older forest, three crystalline ponds, exposed granite crags, and sweeping views.

Borestone Mountain Home Page.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:19 AM  

Bangor, Maine
Anything in the Acadia region is good for a leisurely hike, but I love Baxter
Old 10-19-2010, 09:49 AM  

Windham, ME
Two places I like are Saddleback Mountain and Bigelow Mountain. Easiest access to both is via the AT.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:47 PM  

saco, maine
I love hiking Katahdin. Like Tyler, Cathedrall is my favorite trail there. I've climbed it several times and keep doing it as long as I'm alive. Camden has great hiking as well. Last week I hiked up Mt. Bigelow to let my Grandmother's ashes fly in the wind. She wanted her soul to stay in Carrabassett Valley.

I recommend the book Maine Mountain Guide. It lists tons of trails all over the state with distances, elevation, time estimates, difficulty ratings and descriptions. Excellent resource for the outdoor lover. I lost my first copy on my last Katahdin climb and just got a new one. It also has a set of maps in the back and a section of survival tips.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:01 AM  

Portland, Maine
I enjoy Baxter State Park the most. No cell service and close to the AT. There are tent only campsites which are rare to find these days.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:40 AM  

Bangor, Maine
Most of the trails around Bar Harbor are wonderful, Acadia offers a lot of great hiking all around.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:34 AM  
***** of PV4WD.com

Bangor, Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pointoh1998 View Post
Anything in the Acadia region is good for a leisurely hike, but I love Baxter
have to agree ... Baxter is a great place ... one day l spent over 13 hours climbing up Abol trail over to the Knife's Edge and down the Hunt trail ... was a great day!
Old 12-27-2010, 10:50 PM  

Bangor, Maine
If you're looking for some stuff that's a little less aggressive...

There is the tower road up to the top of Passadumkeag mountain. That's a nice hike. It's recently been 'revamped' as the road was quite grown in and covered in ledge. Now a 4wd pickup with a somewhat experienced driver could make it up... but it's a nice hike up to the top and usually quite quiet.

PDK (as it's commonly referred to) is a 15ish minute drive north on Rte 2 from Milford. Around 45 minutes from Bangor. The easiest access would be via rte 2 to the Greenfield Rd. which is a right turn (when headed north). The greenfield road will eventually turn to dirt and you will arrive at a gate. If you park your vehicle and continue following the road, you'll come to the PDK road after about a mile or two. You'll know you're on the right trail as there is a single set of electrical lines that go up the mountain and the road follows the electrical lines. The road splits at a few places, but if you stay with the power lines, you'll end up at the top.

I'd rank the PDK road as a 3 out of a 1-10 difficulty (1 being an improved flat dirt road and 10 being vertical requiring rock climbing gear). Most of the hike will be on improved dirt road, but the last half mile or so is a fairly steep climb with lots of exposed ledge and jagged, loose rocks. It is also quite remote, so if medical attention is needed, it's a bit of an issue so be sure to bring plenty of water and a first aid kit... Verizon cell phones DO have service for the duration of the trail.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maine
Bookmark this Page!