Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maryland
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2011, 10:25 AM  

4 wheelin at Greenridge State Forest

** EDIT ** I found some of my own answers and have included them.

I have read that while not really being a challenge for most, that Greenridge State Forest is one place we can 4 legally 4 wheel. I want to drive up this weekend sometime with my stepson, just to check it out. I was reading the rules for ORV use in the park, and I have some questions.

It mentions that you need a DNR permit/tag displayed, but can anyone tell me where to get one and how much it is? (EDIT: The cost is $15 for a calendar year ending on 31 Dec regardless of when the tag is purchased. Paperwork is here; http://www.dnr.state.md.us/download/..._rev._7-04.pdf
and can be turned in and paid for at several statewide DNR offices which are listed on the application.)

It goes on to say that you need to wear a helmet when operating an ORV. Does that really include our Jeeps, which have MD tags? (EDIT: I did find a trail map that had eluded me in my previous attempts and it can be found here; http://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/...dge_ORVmap.pdf )

Last question is how easy or hard is it to follow the trail and not get lost? Is the ORV trail pretty well marked?

Included below is a section from the rules that I was reading online if anyone were interested.

Off-Road Vehicle Trail
--------------------------------------------------------------------------The Green Ridge ORV Trail is an 18-mile loop trail designated for ORV's. An ORV is any motorized vehicle capable of cross-country travel on land, water, snow, ice, marsh, swampland or other natural terrain. The ORV trail at Green Ridge is located on East Valley Road and Stafford Road.
Off-Road Vehicle Trail - Regulations and Play Safe Guidelines
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORV Operators must possess either:
1. A valid driver's license; or

2. A learner's permit and be accompanied by a person with a valid driver's license; or

3. Must be 12 years or older to "operate" and be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian with a valid driver's license.

ORV's must have a Department of Natural Resources (DNR) identification tag displayed prominently on the left front portion of the vehicle.
1. A registration service fee is required that covers a calendar year period. The DNR statewide registration may be obtained at Maryland DNR Regional Service Centers or at State Forest offices that have designated ORV trails.

ORV operators may not operate their vehicle:
1. In a recklass or careless manner;

2. Under the influence of drugs or alcohol;

3. In a manner which causes harm to persons, property or natural resources;

4. Off the designated trail or in a manner which obstructs traffic.

An ORV operator may not carry a loaded weapon, discharge a weapon from a vehicle or use the ORV to pursue wildlife.

Three-wheel ORV's are not permitted on DNR public land.

Must wear a helmet and eye protection.

This trail is also used by passenger vehicles, so please use caution.
ORVs and Your Personal Safety
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is mandatory to wear a safety helmet and eye protection whenever operating an ORV.

Maintain control of your ORV at all times by maintaining a safe speed and staying alert to terrain hazards. Stay on designated trails. Must travel one-way, counter clockwise direction.

Plan ahead. Ride according to your ability. Know your equipment and maintain it properly. Always yield to other riders, horseback riders, mountain bikers and hikers.

Use the buddy system. Always travel with a friend. Carry a first aid kit, tool kit and flares.

For emergency dial 911.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:39 AM  
Simmah Dahn Nah

Grason-Vegas, Maryland
Here's two threads to check in on:

Green Ridge Run

And the folks on Jeep Forum: Maryland Folks (page 300) go out quite often.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:44 PM  

Thanks, they were both extremely helpful. One convinced me to scrub my plan to go up this weekend. Without a winch, I could have found myself in trouble quickly.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:54 PM  
Simmah Dahn Nah

Grason-Vegas, Maryland
No problem.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:10 PM  

Frederick, MD
Please post up whenever you go. I would love to head over, and having a group is always the most fun...
Old 02-24-2011, 10:17 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemoretry View Post
Please post up whenever you go. I would love to head over, and having a group is always the most fun...
The plan now is to go and meet up with some guys from PA on 19 March. That thread is over on the Jeep Forum dot com. I'll see if I can find the link again if you are interested.

Adding linky anyway:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f160/...-11-a-1168250/

Actually a guy coming up from VA. is organizing, and there are a few guys from PA interested. I am listed as interested, but I think it is pretty certain that we will go unless the weather is really terrible. heck, we could probably meet you in Fredrick and mini-convoy our way up there.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:08 PM  
Simmah Dahn Nah

Grason-Vegas, Maryland
That's a loooooong drive from Va to go to Green Ridge . . .
Old 02-24-2011, 01:40 PM  

Guess it depends on how far down in VA he is. If he's just outside of DC, its probably not as bad as driving from Baltimore.

Of course you coould take us all wheelin with you. wink wink nudge nudge. BTW, nice save by the wife on that video. Thumbs up!!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 03:24 PM  
Simmah Dahn Nah

Grason-Vegas, Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevKaos View Post
Guess it depends on how far down in VA he is. If he's just outside of DC, its probably not as bad as driving from Baltimore.

Of course you coould take us all wheelin with you. wink wink nudge nudge. BTW, nice save by the wife on that video. Thumbs up!!!!
Surely! We're heading to RC April 21st-> the weekend. Everyone is invited.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:37 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubdeep View Post
Surely! We're heading to RC April 21st-> the weekend. Everyone is invited.
OK, I am feeling really dense right now. RC? What is RC? I'm sure it must be something obvious that will make me slap my forehead and say OHHHHHHH.
Or do this. hehehe

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maryland
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads