Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maryland
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2011, 05:54 PM  

Columbia! We had no idea what to expect when moving here from Germany, but the city has more to offer than just about anyplace I could imagine. Association membership entitles you to pools, gyms, skate park, ice rink, batting cages, PutPut Golf, and 2 hours child care free per day at the gym. They even have free movies on the lawn at the lake in the summer. I am not a big fan of MD, but I am very pleased with making my decision to live in Columbia.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:44 PM  

I'd stay away from city living if settling down, assuming settling down means raising a family. Howard County suposedly has one of the better educational departments. I found the east and west extremes to have some of the better scenary....beaches vs. mountains. People are a little more close knit the farther away from the hustle and bustle. Annapolis is a great place....loved every visit.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:54 PM  

What, nobody thinks that PG county is a great place to live??? J/K, I grew up there, but I don't think I would ever move back.

I agree with the guys on Columbia. Howard County has great schools. I don't have kids, but it's great for resale value. Columbia has pretty much anything you need. It's strictly regulated. I had the hardest time finding a gas station when I moved here because signs can only be a certain height, which is never above tree level, and there are a lot of trees. It sounds like a pain, but once you get used to it you just won't want to leave. There is so much to do, and it's between both Bmore and DC if you want to hit the city for the weekend. CNN Money rated Ellicott City/ Columbia as the 2nd best place to live in the US in 2010 and 8th in 2008. See link below:

Best Places to Live 2010 - Top 100: City details: Columbia, MD - from MONEY Magazine
Old 02-16-2011, 09:56 AM  

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxnyj18 View Post
Hazard County!!!!!
Corrected above post. I live there as well, just too many other people moving in. Guess I'm just anti-social.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:31 AM  

Howard County is expanding rapidly because Ft Meade and the surrounding area are about to get another 10,000 jobs due to the BRAC movement. It makes my property value go up, so I'm not really complaining.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 AM  

The Eastern Shore is nice if you're looking for something a little slower. The farther you go the slower it gets. Kent Island is really growing too & just close enough to Annapolis and Baltimore that you can still have city interaction if you want. Centreville is a quaint little historic town & so is Snow Hill - which is close to Salisbury and the beaches!
Old 02-24-2011, 04:45 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicahhhhh View Post
The Eastern Shore is nice if you're looking for something a little slower. The farther you go the slower it gets. Kent Island is really growing too & just close enough to Annapolis and Baltimore that you can still have city interaction if you want. Centreville is a quaint little historic town & so is Snow Hill - which is close to Salisbury and the beaches!
Can you please let me know where I can best afford a house ?? so that I can tell this to my relatives.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:28 AM  

Generally the farther you go on the shore the more reasonable home costs get. Greensboro, Denton, Ruthsburg, Church Hill are just a few that I'm familiar with.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:17 PM  
Simmah Dahn Nah

Grason-Vegas, Maryland
I agree with Jess. . .the further east you get from the Bay Bridge, the cheaper prices get.

Also to add to her list: Sudlersville, Starr, Cordova, Chestertown, Lynch, Worton
Old 03-15-2011, 07:49 PM  

Baltimore, Maryland
Dundalk, Essex, Middle River, Edgewood, Joppatowne, Lansdowne, Randallstown, Brooklyn, Woodlawn, Arbutus, Cherry Hill, Curtis Bay, Aberdeen, Sparrows Point, Laurel, and Mondawmin

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maryland
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.