Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maryland
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2011, 11:49 AM  

Crabbing in Maryland

Hi,
My fiance' and I played around with some crabbing and fishing last year but I would love to get some tips. I am a very skilled fisherman so I would like to focus on crabbing if at all possible.

I am down in Southern Maryland and would not be opposed to driving up north. I don't have a boat or anything but I do have a bunch of standard drop-traps and a metal net with monster pole. It's probably 20 or 30 feet.

We did some standard hand-lining and crab trapping last year with mixed results and I would love to get some help.

One thing that we really liked was how we cook them. We actually clean them first (removing all the mustard and guts). This allows more people to enjoy them without being grossed out by having to clean them. And don't fear, hard-corps guys can still steam them whole.

Anyway, opinions are welcome.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:37 PM  

portland, maine
I love MD blue crabs, but I haven't the patience to field-stirp them for the tiny amount of meat you get. Now ME lobsters, thats where the real fun is...

Old 04-12-2011, 04:58 PM  

Westminster, Maryland
I can't believe someone would clean the crab then cook it, unless they are soft crabs. So you have to kill each one first then open and clean. Now do you steam the crab with the upper shell removed?
Old 04-12-2011, 11:02 PM  

Here's a good step-by-step. I actually break them in half before steaming them. I steam them exactly how I steam whole crabs.

http://www.bluecrab.info/cbyc.html
Old 05-20-2011, 06:27 AM  

Baltimore, Maryland
I've had them cooked, broken in half, but I still prefer steaming them whole. As for tips to getting them - patients, patients, patients (you're a fisherman, so you get the idea). I usually buy some chicken necks and let them sit outside for a day or two - get 'em nice and ripe. Then you wake up ungodly early, and drive to your local pier/jump on your local boat. Tie some yarn around the necks and drop them over the side. When the chicken gets a life of it's own and starts walking away, that's when you've got a crab and it's time to slowly pull it in. When you can just barely make out the crab in the water, scoop under it with a net and pull it up. Scooping under it is the big thing because when the crab gets spooked, it drops it hold and sinks. If you're scooping from the side, you can miss the crab, but scooping from below will nab it even if it's fallen down some.

::::EDIT::::
Just wanted to mention that I also always bring a crab pot with me. It's my backup in case the hand lines don't really work out.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:24 PM  
Simmah Dahn Nah

Grason-Vegas, Maryland
And don't forget patience . . .
Old 06-01-2011, 04:01 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
when someone teaches you their tricks, you can send some my way. you too, grymsr, ill take some good ole ME lobster!
Old 07-25-2011, 10:43 PM  

Chicago, Illinois
I'm interested in crabbing, too!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maryland
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads