Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Massachusetts
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2010, 10:25 AM  

Somerville, MA
Has your city changed over the last 20 yrs?

Lived in Somerville my whole life. Taxes way up, Crime way up. Used to be a nice & quiet neighborhood. Even the cops are dodging bullets now. Two officers being shot at in one week !!

Only thing better now is the school system.....

Old 11-16-2010, 06:02 PM  

Acton, MA
I live in Acton, and unfortunately every free spot of land is being filled with cookie-cutter condo's. It's sad to see all of these nice old farm houses being bull dozed down for crappy $200K townhouses. Whats even worse, with all of this new population, our schools are going downhill.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:39 AM  

Worcester, Massachusetts
My wife grew up in Somerville and talks all the time about the changes. She lived outside of Davis and talks about how there used to be a Brighams and papa ginos and that was it. We lived there for awhile and I liked walking up there for all the bars, etc and she hated all the traffic. I guess how good change is depends on your perspective. .

I grew up on the South Shore and the house prices in my town went up around 200% since I lived there. Sort of gets on my nerves when a lot of people who grow up in a town are completely priced out of staying there.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:08 PM  

I live in Waltham. Taxes and houses have obviously gone up. Lots of beloved town landmarks have been demolished for building condos or franchises (Dean Dairy, Grover Cronin's, Wal-Ex, etc.). The hospital isn't as fully functioning as it used to be. There's just condos and town houses everywhere now!

Moody Street will never change though. Lots of small businesses and ethnic communities. People stay the same as well.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:32 AM  
Road Warrior

Newton, Taxachusetts
A lot more liberals, a lot more traffic lights, no more bowling alleys, arcades, roller rinks or drive-in movies.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:25 AM  

Lexington, Massachusetts
For the worse

Housing prices have skyrocketed along with taxes, but kids are still attending the same schools we all did, except now they're dusty and falling apart.

Sad suburban decay.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:05 AM  

Housing prices and taxes went up a lot but now the prices are down and the taxes are still up. I don't see the assessor coming a knockin' to readjust. Looks like I will have to pay him a visit this April
Old 12-02-2010, 01:38 PM  

Charlestown, MA
Only been living in the area for 10 months now... living in Charlestown, and from all accounts the change here has been for the better as far as schools and crime. Although the home prices are ridiculous!

Looking at Arlington area to buy, seems like a good balance between city and suburbs.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:16 AM  

Norton, Mass.
Moved to Norton from Hyde Park in 1979. Was a little cow town then. I usually tell people " When i got here, everyone had cows, Now we got Beemers, Volvos, and mini-vans "...
Old 12-06-2010, 04:33 PM  

Boylston, MA
Not a lot. Well, maybe more roads are paved.... but then again, maybe not.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Massachusetts
Bookmark this Page!