Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Massachusetts
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2010, 08:03 PM  

Ma
Enjoying a bourbon Porter right now! Best beer I have made it is delicious.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:33 AM  

Did my first partial mash yesterday (Monday) afternoon... Used 3 pounds of extra light DME, and the rest was grain (10 pounds of 2 row plus specialty grains)... It's an old ale that should be in bottles in a month or two. Planning on brewing a chocolate stout around January 1st or 2nd... Formulating the grain bill still, but it should be a good one. I do need to get a larger sparge pot, since it was too tight in the 5 gallon I have right now. Basically I picked up two dinged 5 gallon (20 quart) pots at a discount over the weekend. I'm looking at getting a 32 quart pot before that next brew time. I'm on the fence as to if I'll be using any extract in the stout, or not. I have some LME on hand, that I might use in that brewing, to be sure I hit the numbers (OG)...

I think that with just a little more hardware, I'll be set for going all grain too. I'm thinking of making a wort chiller before too long too. I think I'll be able to make one (about 20 foot of tubing) for less than half of what you can buy one for. I'm pretty good with soldering, so it shouldn't be much of an issue for me. I'm also planning to get a stir-stick at the same time as the pot, so that I have one that I can mark for how much water is in the pot. That way I'll know, for certain, how much wort is in the pot...

Old 12-21-2010, 05:41 AM  

Swampscott, MA
I love home brewing. Been a bit lazy the past few months (drank up my entire supply of bottled beers, keg is also empty). I do have a case and a half of a mixed review Mango Habanero Stout I made with a buddy. It is a bit spicier than we hoped and the mango didn't come through all that evenly. Gotta drink it anyway though!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:37 AM  

Boston, Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FensterBos View Post
I'm an extract brewer whom is starting to investigate all-grain methods. One of the main reasons why I haven't started all-grain by now is because I don't have the space or the equipment, but it is something I am going to looking into.
I started in March, and have done 14 batches, mostly IPA and stout, but just bottled a barleywine yesterday. If you want to ease into partial mash, there is a great thread on stovetop partial mash brewing on homebrewtalk:
Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics) - Home Brew Forums
Old 12-22-2010, 12:24 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeho View Post
I started in March, and have done 14 batches, mostly IPA and stout, but just bottled a barleywine yesterday. If you want to ease into partial mash, there is a great thread on stovetop partial mash brewing on homebrewtalk:
Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics) - Home Brew Forums
Only thing I would say about that method (which is pretty much what I did on Monday) is don't do 'big beers' with it... I'd say no more than about 7-8 pounds of grain total (for a 5 gallon pot)... If you have larger pots, then you'll be ok for bigger beers... I'll be looking to get something else to mash and sparge in soon (thinking I could get away with just one of the 10 gallon water coolers to start with). Once I'm working again (have money, will brew more) I'll be looking to get a 40 quart pot, or maybe a keggle along with a propane burner/cooked so that I can do it up easier. Plus it will let me brew bigger batches (can see reaching a point where 5 gallons won't be enough)... I hope to be doing 10 gallon batches within a couple of years (will play it by ear there). I do think I'll need the gear upgrade before too long though.

Of course, I'm also lusting after one of those 14 gallon conical fermentors...
Old 12-22-2010, 06:31 AM  

Springfield, MA
I'm a homebrewer, and prefer the hoppier side of life (like IPAs). I do like to brew most styles, though, and really nice a nice, clean Munich Dunkel (it just takes forever to make).
Old 12-22-2010, 08:23 AM  

Boston, Massachusetts
By the way, if you want to discuss more about home brewing I've been going to HomeBrewTalk.com a lot (no, I don't work or market for them).
Old 12-23-2010, 04:34 AM  

Springfield, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FensterBos View Post
By the way, if you want to discuss more about home brewing I've been going to HomeBrewTalk.com a lot (no, I don't work or market for them).
I agree - it's a great site. A visit quite a bit, but should really post more there.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:47 PM  

Boston, Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Only thing I would say about that method (which is pretty much what I did on Monday) is don't do 'big beers' with it... I'd say no more than about 7-8 pounds of grain total (for a 5 gallon pot)... If you have larger pots, then you'll be ok for bigger beers... I'll be looking to get something else to mash and sparge in soon (thinking I could get away with just one of the 10 gallon water coolers to start with). Once I'm working again (have money, will brew more) I'll be looking to get a 40 quart pot, or maybe a keggle along with a propane burner/cooked so that I can do it up easier. Plus it will let me brew bigger batches (can see reaching a point where 5 gallons won't be enough)... I hope to be doing 10 gallon batches within a couple of years (will play it by ear there). I do think I'll need the gear upgrade before too long though.

Of course, I'm also lusting after one of those 14 gallon conical fermentors...
I have a 5 gallon pot and 2 2 gallon pots, so it's cumbersome, but I mash up to 13 lbs at 1.25 qt/lb ratio. It gets pretty full. I drain the bag, transfer the wort to the 2 gallon pot, transfer the sparge water to the big pot, sparge, drain the grain again, then transfer the wort back to the big pot. I've made 3 or so batches of 1.070 IPA this way.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:38 PM  

RevereM, Massachusetts
I love IPA's, IIPA's, or anything with a high IBU. But with a screen name like I-Hop, I think that goes without saying.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Massachusetts
Bookmark this Page!