Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Massachusetts
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2010, 09:18 AM  

Peabody, MA
Local Homebrew shops....

I am still pretty new to the area and was wondering if anyone knew of any good homebrew shops around Peabody. I have heard of one in Beverly but didn't know anything about it.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:12 PM  

Salem, Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcstout View Post
I am still pretty new to the area and was wondering if anyone knew of any good homebrew shops around Peabody. I have heard of one in Beverly but didn't know anything about it.
I used to go to beer and wine hobby but once I really got into the hobby I learned how bad their prices were. I order everything online now. It's too bad too. I like being able to chat with people but sadly the only place around me turned into a pub only with a few supplies, then a pub only and then shut down and moved...

Old 11-30-2010, 04:18 AM  

Peabody, MA
Before I moved I shopped mostly online too, but in emergencies like dead yeast, etc, it was nice to have someone local.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:15 AM  

Lexington, Massachusetts
Sorry I don't know much about north of the city. I don't fault B&WH for their prices, even some on-line sellers are 'out of touch', and B&WH is online themselves as a case in point, instead fault them for being so surly! They don't even like to honor their own coupons.

I try to give locals the business, and I really like Modern Homebrew Emporium in Cambridge. It beats the stores in Woburn and Marlborough hands down. Nice, helpful staff, FRESH hops and grains.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:58 AM  

While it may be a bit of a drive, NFG in Leominster has a very good selection of grains and wine items. They only carry White Labs yeast and dry yeast, i.e. not Wyeast. Overall prices are good for ingredients but you could probably do better online for equipment.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:57 PM  

Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalutika View Post
I used to go to beer and wine hobby but once I really got into the hobby I learned how bad their prices were. I order everything online now. It's too bad too. I like being able to chat with people but sadly the only place around me turned into a pub only with a few supplies, then a pub only and then shut down and moved...
I use Austin Home Brew, they are 20-50% cheaper than BWH.

I also use to shop there until it was costing me more to brew a beer than it was to buy in the store.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:54 AM  

Norton, Mass.
I'm down here in Norton. There is a brew shop i go to in Foxboro called The Whitche's Brew. Great folks to deal with, and goot prices as well..
( a shameless plug )
Old 12-06-2010, 03:24 PM  

Cambridge, MA
In the area my choices are Home Brew Emporium on Mass ave in Cambridge (near Davis Square), and Jasper's Home Brew Supply in downtown Nashua. Both are more expensive than online retailers, but they're friendly, nearby and knowledgeable.

https://www.beerbrew.com/
Jasper's Home Brew & Winemaking
Old 12-06-2010, 03:39 PM  

Boston, Ma
It depends on whether you brew all grain or not. If not, your best bet is William's or Northern Brewer-even with the shipping charges they can beat any retail store. But, if you brew all grain, you'll get killed on shipping a 50lb bag of 2 row! The best place I've found in terms of price and quality of merchandise is:
The Modern Homebrew Emporium
2304 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02140-1812
(617) 498-0400
Happy Brewing!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:51 PM  

Peabody, MA
Thanks to all that responded.

I deal with Northernbrewer all the time, and even have an order on the way now. I just wanted to know where a good spot would be if I needed something right away. I will look into the places that everyone mentioned and see which is gonna be closer for me.

Thanks again.

Jim

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Massachusetts
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.