Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Massachusetts
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2010, 11:13 AM  

Cambridge, MA
Pizza in Boston

Why do all the pizza places use a sweet tomato sauce? One of the first things I did after moving here was order a pizza (moving is tough) and it was terrible!

Is it because the pizzarias are generally greek and not italian? Papa Gino's is the worst, may as well sprinkle powdered sugar on your pizza...

There are a few places to get a good pizza, but just about any 'standard' pizza I've had suffers the same sauce issue. I know, from talking to coworkers, that many people like their pizza like this but I contend that it's because that's what they grew up with.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:19 AM  

somerville, massachusetts
yeah, almost all the "house of pizza" pizzerias I think of as greek style even though I don't really know what that means.

I'm not crazy about sweet sauce but I will eat any pizza all the time. my favorite is Pizzaria Regina in the north end (but only the north end one not any of the knock off chain type ones)

Old 11-19-2010, 10:55 AM  

Boston, MA
I was in the same boat when I moved to Boston from the Philly area. No good pizza to be found. One place I found was Joseph's in JP on the corner of Huntington & S. Huntington They had some great, no frills pizza.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:57 PM  

somerville, massachusetts
I found myself at an Upper Crust joint today and tried to evaluate the sauce, I didn't think it was too sweet and definitely very tomatoey. I had just been riding a bike for 4 hours so I was in no position to be fussy. Hit up an Upper Crust and tell me what you think!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:53 AM  

Ware, MA
I agree Blitz. I dont care for the "Greek" style pizza cooked in a pan. Gimmee a thin crust wood/coal fired over pizza anyday!
Old 11-22-2010, 02:00 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2roam View Post
I found myself at an Upper Crust joint today and tried to evaluate the sauce, I didn't think it was too sweet and definitely very tomatoey. I had just been riding a bike for 4 hours so I was in no position to be fussy. Hit up an Upper Crust and tell me what you think!
Upper Crust makes some great extra thin crust pizza. Sauce isn't that sweet either. Just enough seasoning and tomato flavor. I love the buffalo chicken pizza. They toss blue cheese on top.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:25 PM  

Keene, New Hampshire
Go to Chicago for pizza.
Go to the North End of Boston for Calamari
Old 11-22-2010, 06:37 PM  

Jamaica Plain, MA
Have you tried Cambridge One in Harvard Sq or Kenmore? Also, Anna's Kitchen in Kendall is good, too. Both have a thin crust which I'm not thrilled about but the overall pizza tastes great!
Old 11-23-2010, 12:03 AM  

Cambridge, MA
I do like Upper Crust (minus the price, ouch) and Anna's is pretty good. Haven't tried Kenmore One, I'll check that out.

I didn't realize how pizza spoiled i was growing up in Rochester NY until I moved to Pittsburgh and then Boston, lol.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:52 AM  

Not a fan of the Upper Crust. Way overpriced.

Best Pizza in Boston (to me) is still Regina's. The original is down in the North End. Get there early though, its a tiny place and lines begin outside after 5-5:30pm.

Santarpios is another people seem to like, although I have never been there myself.

-DC

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Massachusetts
Bookmark this Page!