Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Massachusetts
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2010, 09:25 AM  

Chicopee, MA
Support your local businesses

During these rough times, local businesses are financially strained more than big companies, who can back their locations until the economy recovers. however local businesses often can offer you better prices on similar or the same products, but will not be able to survive or still offer these prices unless we all become faithful customers. im not saying to go there and pay more for something than another location, but very often you can get better deals from mom and pop's locations than big businesses. just think it over. everyone can win if we make the effort to shop around first.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:12 PM  

Wethersfield, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by project98tj View Post
im not saying to go there and pay more for something than another location, but very often you can get better deals from mom and pop's locations than big businesses.
I'm willing to pay a little more to support the local shops. Often the price difference isn't huge when they are more expensive.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:53 PM  
AMSOIL Indepdent Dealer

Woodstock, CT
I totally agree. Supporting our local small businesses is very important. Not only do you get a much more personalized service, you get to know your neighbors, make new acquaintances & sometimes new friends. Give it a try you'll be surprised at what you find in your own back yard.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:40 AM  

Norton, Mass.
I try to spend my money in my town as much as possible..
Old 12-16-2010, 10:42 AM  
Service Manager

Burlington, MA
Keeping it local is a great thing for everyone involved. I also try and spend in my local community. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:34 PM  

Look at what you are buying at the local supplier too. The quality of the product is usually better, and sometimes it's actually made in the US.
Just as an example, look at Dewalt stuff. Ever wonder why Lowes and HomeCheapo stuff is cheaper? Because it is. The stuff you buy at the bigger stores have the same ratings, but cheaper materials. Don't believe it? Check the part numbers. Dewalt won't warentee Lowes and home Depot bought tools.
They have such a big part of the market that if the manufacturer refuses to build them below their standards and for the cost the big box stores demand, the stores will refuse to carry them. They will carry the competitor's products and the manufacturer looses a big part of their market share.
Walmart did this to Rubbermade. They had to shut down a couple plants and lay off over a thousand workers years back.
I'll climb off that soap box now.
Basicall what I was saying is, you are getting more for the little extra you spend. How many times have you had to replace stuff you just bought at the mega stores.
Check out the dollar stores and Ocean State Job Lot for the cheap plastic stuff you need (laundry baskets, dish racks, containers, etc) I know a lot of the plastics manufacturers around Leominster supply them with that stuff.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Massachusetts
Bookmark this Page!