Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Michigan
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2011, 12:27 PM  

Hartland, MI
Successful 2010 Michigan hunts

As I get ready for a last ditch hunt (late firearm antler less private land) I began to wonder how many of you had some good 2010 hunting? My hunts this season were few & far between due to my son being only 4 months old when bow season started. Saw a hand full of whitetails but nothing I was ready to take.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:46 PM  

Quinnesec, Michigan
I did not have a sucessfull whitetail season this year. Hunted rifle season and blackpowder. Saw a lot more deer than expected but didn't fill a tag. My dad and cousin were sucessful opening morning of rifle season. Dad shot a a 5 and 7 within 5 minutes and my cousin shot a 8. Seems like lots of larger racks were shot this year from what our paper had.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:40 PM  

Private land, late blackpowder season south of GR with one week of season to go.

My son in law took a big buck in Alpena area during rifle season, but I had not seen anything that wasn't running full tilt thru the woods.

There were three of us on a small plot sitting on either end of a small hill in a valley of sorts. As dusk approached, I noted a large doe come out of the woods in front of me. I couldn't get a shot thru the brush so had to stand up. By the time I was fully upright she had turned directly toward me and I no longer had a good shot but there was another doe behind her that was broadside to me. I took the shot and she ran forward 20-30 feet and stopped to look around. The first deer just stood there looking around. As I had a second tag, I quickly dropped down to reload. My son in law and his brother came up to check on me (they thought I had a chain fire with my .44 Colt as they heard a dble fire) I stood up and shot a second time at the first deer and obviously missed (about 80yrds) so dropped to reload again. by this time there was a third deer standing with the group. My son in law shot and missed, but the deer just stood looking around. We both reloaded (his brother couldn't see through his scope so never shot) and shot again taking both remaining deer. The first deer had lain down by that time.

Overall, we took three deer in about 8 minutes of high excitement. We figure that, being down in a bowl valley, there were echos coming from all around and the deer didn't know which way to run so they just stood there. Filled the freezers with some good, corn fed venison and ended the season successfully.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:12 PM  

Walked 50yds from my back door and took a buck 10 minutes after sunrise on opening day of firearm season. My wife bagged a doe from the same blind five days later. I LOVE this state!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 PM  

Mount Pleasant, Michigan
I was only able to get out once because of work and didn't see a thing. My dad on the otherhand shot a 12 point out of his backyard.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:11 PM  

I have been gun hutning up on state land in Roscommon County since 1988. This past year was the worst I have ever seen. We probably took a buck a year for 4 guys on average. The past few have been terrible!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Michigan
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads