Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis / St Paul
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2010, 03:19 PM  

St. Paul, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drocnoc View Post
The only bad thing about the summit tour is that you don't get beer until the end!
+1. Especially since the guy giving the tour likes to yack your ear off. Still, it's definitely a neat experience.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:21 PM  

Minneapolis, Minnesota
I grew up right down the road from Summit and still have not been there for a tour. I need to make that happen.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:32 PM  

St. Paul, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlocked View Post
I grew up right down the road from Summit and still have not been there for a tour. I need to make that happen.
Call in advance. The tours are free, but there's about a month-long waiting list, I believe.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:07 PM  

Blaine, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirstubbsalot View Post
+1, Summit tour is worth doing. Bottling operation was pretty impressive... Surly (if you are able to secure a tour) has a good tour with a heartwarming tale of the little guy prevailing. fun.
I wouldn't really call it a tale of the little guy prevailing. Didn't his parents give him the space and sell off some of their investment properties to pay for it all?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it worked out. Having another world class brewery in the state is great, especially when you find out you can trade it online pretty easily for hard to find stuff from the coast.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:09 PM  

Blaine, Minnesota
I recommend also checking out the Flat Earth Brewery. It's not at all on the same scale, but is the kind of brewery most homebrewers could actually consider starting if we had the determination.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:41 PM  

Minneapolis, MN
I haven't been on a brewery tour in the Cities. I'd love to visit Summit and one of the little guys. It's one thing to have a large scale brewery with some intern showing you around and another to have the brewmaster right there talking to you.

Summit's EPA is great and IMO is only equally rivaled by Sweetwater's Pale Ale (Atlanta) and Dale's Pale Ale (CO, available in WI). All in all, they are tasty. I haven't been too impressed with Summit's other stuff until I tried the Unchained Golden Ale. Seriously, I think some monks somewhere were feeling shame and didn't know why. It's that good.

I love the IPA from Flat Earth. Reminds me of the IPA from a local brewpub in Chattanooga, TN where I'm from. Surly and others are great as well. Apparently 612 Brew is an upcoming brand out of the Twin Cities.

Of course, we have several great brew pups around (Town Hall, Barley John's, Rock Bottom, Granite City, etc).
Old 11-23-2010, 10:31 AM  

Minneapolis, MN
Sounds like I have a few more brewery tours to make happen! And cowardm I'll have to check out some of those brew pubs you mentioned as well. It looks like there is a Granite City only a few miles from my apartment.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:07 AM  

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Summit Brewery

I've not been on a tour, but I've been to a couple of events held in their event space. If you have the opportunity to go to one, go. I got some of their Rye Ale about 2 months before I saw it anywhere else. They have a really nice setup and the beer does flow, if you know what I mean.

If I had a big event that was appropriate for that space, I'd hold it there in a heart beat. What a classy operation.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:50 AM  

Twin Cities, MN
Its a pretty good tour, and the facilities are nice. You get beer tokens at the end, they usually let you have one more if you ask nicely.

They normally ask for reservations, but I don;t think they have ever turned anyone away.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:31 AM  

Minneapolis, MN
Well I did go on the tour yesterday, and I have to say I was a little disappointed with what they showed us. The tour lasted for ~45 minutes, but only 15 minutes max was actually spent looking at the brewery. The beer at the end was nice though, when I did the leinies tour they only gave 3-4oz glasses and Summit gave a maybe12oz glass. I ended up trying the imperial pumpkin porter, oatmeal stout, and winter ale. I was happy with all of them but the pumpkin porter, as it just didn't do it for me.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis / St Paul
Bookmark this Page!