Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Mississippi
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2010, 03:41 PM  

Fighting Traffic Tickets

I got ticketed last Sunday for not stopping at a sign no one could see, trees had covered it. I told the cop that, he said I could explain that to the judge and he might let me slide.

BS for one thing, but then I got to thinking, I wonder how many people have there tickets thrown out. Has anyone on this board?

I don't have to show up for some time still.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:29 PM  

Brandon, Mississippi
Go take pictures of the obstructions hiding the sign. That should help you with your case.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:17 PM  

Jackson, Mississippi
In my limited experience with ticket in the Jackson area, I've found that if you feel you have a case, present it to the judge in a calm manner, you have a good chance of having the ticket excused, or at least cut down in size. And photos will help.

Let us know what happened.

Bill
Old 12-28-2010, 03:18 PM  

Jackson, Mississippi
And if you haven't taken photos yet, better get over there and do it ASAP before the trees get trimmed!

Bill
Old 01-13-2011, 09:38 AM  

Horn Lake, MS
I'm a police officer in Mississippi. If what your are saying is correct I would do as you were already told. I would take pictures of the sign and how it is being obstructed and present them in court. Believe it or not judges do listen to what you have to say. I never get offended or hunt for somebody if they exercise their right to fight a ticket in court. If you feel you are justified it's always worth fighting it in court.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM  

Jackson, Mississippi
Work for law enforcement in Ms here too. Take everyone's advice. Go take pictures immediately and take several angled pictures and pictures at several distances to show that the sign can not be seen when you are driving down the road. Print these pictures out to take to court.

Remember to dress like you are going to something important and address the Judge with respect. Most Judges will listen to you if you present your case in a professional manner but if you go into court looking like you climbed out of bed 20 minutes before court they are less likely to be open to listening to your presentation. I'm sticking this in here because I've met several people that just don't seem to understand that court is something to dress up for as it shows respect for the Judge and his rulings.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:50 PM  

^ Very good advice in every courthouse in America!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Mississippi
Bookmark this Page!