Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Missouri
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2010, 09:09 AM  

St.Louis
Having Fun on the River

I just moved a couple of weeks ago and am wondering if the river boats are just tourist traps, or do the locals use them too? Also what's the water sport scene here look like?

Old 09-15-2010, 12:11 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Not sure about the water sports - I guess it kinda depends on where on the river your live. I do know that river boats are used by the locals. There's some good work on the river, too - but it's a tough kinda life if you go that route. Good money, but tough work.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-28-2010, 09:30 AM  

Lexington, SC
It's been a number of years since I lived in MO, but the Riverboats typically cater to the gambling crowd. There are still many opportunities for recreational activities even on the bigger rivers like the Mississippi, and Missouri are still accessible (more so outside of the city proper just because of the high commercial traffic).

I would travel SW a couple of hours and spend some time on some of the interior water opportunities.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:25 PM  

St. Louis, MO
None of the gambling boats run anymore, they are all "fixed". Is that what you're talking about?
Old 10-01-2010, 03:24 PM  

Saint Louis, Missouri
I went canoeing on the Meremec out by Eureka about a month ago (~25 mi west of StL on I-44) and in a 4 mile stretch ran into 2 other canoeing parties (2 canoes per party), 3 separate john boats (fishing), a half-dozen river jet boats (leisure - 4 were together banked on a gravel beach), 2 jet skis (one was pulling a wakeboarder) and a couple of separate kayaks. There was also an entertaining group of early 20's boys on a rope swing just east of the 109 bridge. I've lived here 10 years, and learned that Missourians love their rivers and use them for fun.

Riverboats are tourist traps. I've been on only one, but that was for a company holiday party evening dinner cruise.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:14 PM  

Springfield, Illinois
I Think Lake St Louis has more recreational watersports.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:44 AM  

St. Louis, MO
If you haven't been on the Mississippi or the Illinois north of Alton, at the "Alton Pool" as it's called, it's a powerboaters dream. You can waterski, swim, wakeboard, or just cruise. There's about a 20 miles stretch between locks that is very nice. Stop at Pierre Marquette State Park on the IL side for lunch. When it's hot and muggy in STL, there's no better place to be on the water up there.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:11 PM  

doolittle, mo
i dont know about the st louis area but the current river is fun
Old 10-07-2010, 07:41 AM  

Columbia, Missouri
White, Current, Jack's Fork
Old 10-15-2010, 12:22 PM  

St. Louis, il
I agree that the rivers in Missouri are great. Fun for all, watch out for occasional brief nudity. The current and the black seem to me to be the best. The river boats are fun too

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Missouri
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.