Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Missouri
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2010, 04:11 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Thinking about moving to Missouri

Hey Missouri-ans!

My name's Jake, and I'm an active duty Marine stationed out here on Oahu with my wife and two kids.

I'm planning on getting out of the Corps in 2013, and we're seriously considering SE Missouri for our new home. My in-laws live in Jackson, MO in the Cape Girardeau area. So we're looking around at houses in Cape Girardeau, Jackson, Patton, etc.

Anybody on here from around that area?

I guess I'm just curious about what any guy thinks about... how's the hunting, wheeling, and how are the people?

I appreciate any feedback!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 10-05-2010, 07:55 AM  

San Antonio, TX
Hey, Jake!

I grew up in KC, but went to school in Rolla. A bunch of my friends were from that area of MO. They were all great guys. Hunting and fishing are supposed to be great in that area.

Things to consider - Cape Girardeau is right on the river, which has been flooding fairly regularly over the last 20 years, so you might want to move a little further away.
That area is the juncture of Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas with Missouri, and I'm not sure how that would impact your lifestyle. I grew up across the street from Kansas and it was a PITA. Different drinking laws, different hunting/fishing permits, different speed limits, etc.

Finally, that is the epicenter of the New Madrid fault line. 200 years ago, the largest earthquake in US history happened right there! Read about it here: New Madrid Fault Line Intro

I live in TX now, and miss the four seasons. The family farm is in Westphalia (central MO) and I am thinking about road tripping up to check it out.

Whatever you decide, best of luck and Semper Fi!

Old 10-07-2010, 07:39 AM  

Columbia, Missouri
Missouri is a great place full of many outdoor adventures, events, festivals, big city, small city, rural, countryside. A great place to raise kids
Old 10-07-2010, 11:49 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Jackthejeep I notice you're in Columbia! It's looking more and more like we'll be coming to Missouri, and I plan on going to Pre-med at SEMO and then Med up in Kirksville at AT Still - have you ever been up there?

My brother-in-law plans on going to Mizzou.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:12 PM  

Springfield, Missouri
I live in Springfield, the Southwest part of MO, and I must say I love it around here. There are many things to do outdoors, whether it be fishing, hiking, hunting... you name it. There is some great scenery in Missouri also. Overall I think it's a great state and hope you enjoy living in it if you move here. Good Luck!
Old 10-08-2010, 07:14 AM  

Columbia, Missouri
Central Missouri (Columbia area)

Hey Jake!

Glad to have you come and check out this great state!

I work at the University of Missouri-Hospital and am a graduate of Mizzou (class of 2000).

Don't know that much about the areas you are speaking of but can tell ya lots about Mizzou.

Great school. Friendly people around here. Professionals, students, and lots of good ol' country folk.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:59 PM  
Jeep Crazy

Cape Girardeau, Mo., Missouri
I live about 10 miles out of Cape and it's not a bad area. Cape is expanding quickly and has alot to offer now as far as schools, resturants, activities, ect....

It doesn't flood like drinternet was saying. Yeah the river gets up every year but your not gonna loose your home! The flood areas are well known and as long as you don't live there you'll be fine. Outlying areas in the hills are subject to flash flooding due to heavy rains but they are well known too.

There's some wheeling areas close by too. At least 6 spots within a few hours of here.

Overall it's a pretty nice place. If ya get too bored there's always St. Louis 100 miles away.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:05 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Cool j-mox. We've been kind of carousing around the internet looking at house prices and such, and we really like the area. Even though it's a few years out, we're trying to be as prepared as possible. I've actually lived there before, but it was only for a short period of time - I used to work at Game Crazy in Cape, and Buckner's downtown right by the river - that's when I was a teenager, though.

We're really leaning towards that area now, and going to SEMO to finish up my Pre-Med.

Thanks everyone for the info, and keep it coming if you've got it!

Old 10-09-2010, 05:00 AM  

Burr Ridge, IL
I'm considering a move to Missouri myself, probably around the Salem area. How are land prices these days?
Old 10-09-2010, 01:49 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Ebay it, my friend! That's the best way that I usually survey an area, at least as far as land prices go. If you're looking for houses, I like using homes.com, or just good ol' craig's list.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Missouri
Bookmark this Page!