Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Missouri
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2010, 10:33 AM  

West Plains, Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
I'll definitely get the ball rolling as soon as I get there. Like you said, right now I'm used to the crazy gun regulations of Hawaii. I came here from being in Texas for half a year or so, so it was definitely a huge change.
LOL! I can appreciate that. My son was stationed at Kaneohe Bay from 1999 to 2002 as part of an artillery unit. The only reason he left the Corps rather than reenlisting is that artillery was a critical MOS from which he could not transfer out and he'd have remained stuck in Hawaii. For him, growing up in Missouri, Hawaii's attitude and laws were bad enough that he left the Corps and joined the Army rather than stay in Hawaii. Today, he's an Army EOD non-com in Afghanistan and still doesn't miss Hawaii. That's not to say that he doesn't miss the Marines, just had no love for Kbay.

Branson was mentioned as one of Missouri's attractions. What isn't stressed is that the music of Branson is an integral part of the culture in southern Missouri. "Mountain music" is what people did in their families and communities to provide their own entertainment for generations in what was once an isolated area. There is still a rich depth of music tradition here.

I first moved to southern Missouri in '95 and I had the opportunity to enjoy West Plains' first Old Time Heritage Festival in June of '96. While watching a young lady (she was 15) playing bluegrass fiddle for the jig dancers, I asked an elderly gentleman next to me if he played an instrument. His answer was, "When I was ten and it was time for me to pick an instrument, my older brothers had already learned guitar so I was stuck with the fiddle."

That sentence said a lot about the culture here. You'll find more guitars, fiddles, dulcimers, and other musical instruments in the small town pawn shops than in most urban music stores. Bluegrass, bluegrass gospel, southern gospel, and traditional (sixties and earlier) country music are part of the everyday culture. I can generally look in the local newspaper and find a bluegrass jam session, festival, or other performance within forty miles on any given weekend. The local senior center here has open mic bluegrass/country jams every Tuesday night; that's where I learned guitar by sitting in and doing my best to follow the chord changes of those who knew the songs.

As someone else said, the people in Missouri (at least outside the largest metro areas) are extremely friendly and welcoming.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:42 PM  

St. Louis, Missouri
Quote:

Hunting's definitely going to be a big part of wherever I go, so I'm glad that Missouri's going to be able to accommodate me there.
Jake,
The sooner you get here the better! We need more like minded individuals such as yourself!

Be warned though -- you'll find yourself in heaven being so close to MidwayUSA in Columbia, and Sierra Bullets in Sedalia. (hint: factory seconds, cheap!)
The wallet will probably get a good workout.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:28 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Ohhh Jeez.... think they do a vet discount?

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 10-24-2010, 10:48 PM  

St. Louis, Missouri
Quote:
Ohhh Jeez.... think they do a vet discount?
I don't really know, but it doesn't cost anything to ask them.

I do know that Midway gives you dealer pricing if you have an (03)FFL. (Collectors License) That alone is well worth the cost of the $30 license.
Same deal at Graf & Sons and Brownells as well.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:42 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Awesome good to know, thanks.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:49 AM  

West Plains, Missouri
This thread got me to wondering... Each sheriff in Missouri is allowed to set the fees for CCW up to $100 for the initial application and up to $50 for renewals. Thus that varies from county to county. St. Louis, for instance, is currently charging $75/$0. That's something that a newcomer might want to take into account when choosing a community in which to move. I've posted the question in a forum on MSSA Forums - Powered by vBulletin and we'll see what kind of answers result.

And, on that note, that brings up another issue--taxes. Avoid the major metro areas and property taxes are very affordable compared to other states. For instance, I live in a rural area, a county seat with a population of ~11,000. I own a 1650sq. ft. ranch-style house on a half acre of land inside the city limits. My property taxes last year were ~$200. And land/property values are low enough that one can buy a really, really nice house with sizable acreage for about half of what a house my size on a 5,000sq.ft. lot would sell for in one of the east or left coast states.

As an example, two years ago, a friend sold his 1200sq. ft. home on a 3,000sq.ft. lot in Tracy, CA for $450,000, leaving him $250,000 cash after paying off his mortgage. For that $250,000, he found a 3,000sq. ft. house on 40 acres of partially cleared timbered property here in southern Missouri.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:35 AM  

St. Louis, Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by brolin1911a1 View Post

And, on that note, that brings up another issue--taxes. Avoid the major metro areas and property taxes are very affordable compared to other states. For instance, I live in a rural area, a county seat with a population of ~11,000. I own a 1650sq. ft. ranch-style house on a half acre of land inside the city limits. My property taxes last year were ~$200. And land/property values are low enough that one can buy a really, really nice house with sizable acreage for about half of what a house my size on a 5,000sq.ft. lot would sell for in one of the east or left coast states.
That is an excellent point! I have a 1 1/2 story brick home with less square footage in STL county. My property taxes are 6 times yours, by the time the local municipality gets their hands in it as well.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:13 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
We plan on going to the Southeast Missouri area - most likely in the Cape Girardeau/Jackson area - although we're going to find a place out of town a few miles with at least a few acres with it. We've been looking around quite a bit to get a feel for things, but won't actually start shopping for houses, like I said, next summer when my wife and kids go to mainland early to get things set up before I get out of the Corps.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:25 PM  

Kansas City, Missouri
First of all Jake, let me thank you for your service to our country. Missouri is a great place to live with tons of great hunting and fishing throughout the state.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:52 AM  

Columbia, MO
My wife and I moved here in 2003, with the plan of only living here for 3-4 years......well, it has been 7 years now and we love it here. If it were closer to family we would stay. The weather for the most part is nice, a bit humid in the summer. Winters are mild (compared to MI/WI where I used to live) but it like to ice a lot here.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Missouri
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.