Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Montana
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2011, 02:28 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
BOLO - a 1987 Jeep Wagoneer

Mont. manhunt for former militia leader in 3rd day
(AP) ? 5 hours ago

HTML Code:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gz4Locc4uYB9dS5SODJSdlEGuV8A?docId=932ce73c4fcb41f29dfe61d0795ec769
Quote:
LOLO, Mont. (AP) ? A manhunt continued Tuesday in a western Montana forest for a former militia leader accused of firing on Missoula County deputies and then fleeing into the woods, where authorities say they've found caches of weapons, food and gear.
Missoula County Undersheriff Mike Dominick said ex-convict David Burgert, 47, appears to have had a plan following the exchange of gunfire Sunday along a logging trail after a slow-speed chase near Lolo on U.S. Highway 12.
Dominick said police found a second vehicle in the area loaded with ammunition and food and are searching for a third vehicle they believe Burgert might also be using.
Officials involved in the search believe Burgert might have been able to escape the area in that vehicle, a 1987 Jeep Wagoneer, Flathead County Sheriff Chuck Curry said.
Burgert is the former leader of a Flathead County militia group known as Project 7, named for the number "7'' on Flathead County license plates in Montana. Project 7 allegedly plotted to assassinate local officials, go to war with the National Guard and overthrow the federal government.
"I could best describe him as a bully," Curry said. "He's one of those people you're constantly dealing with ? confrontations with law enforcement, confrontations with neighbors."

Quote:
Burgert is 6 feet 2 inches tall, weighs 230 pounds, and has brown eyes and brown hair. He was last seen wearing a bluish shirt and a fanny pack and is believed to be armed with a handgun and possibly a rifle. Authorities believe he had been living out of a vehicle in the area, and searchers have discovered several caches of food in the search area, Dominick said.
Agents from the FBI and U.S. Marshals Service; Missoula police; Missoula County sheriff's deputies; and law enforcement officers from the U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management and the Montana National Guard were looking for Burgert in a rugged, sparsely populated area of Lolo National Forest, Dominick said.
A National Guard helicopter and a police dog were brought in to assist the searchers, totaling 65 personnel in all.
Authorities have been contacting Burgert's former associates in case he attempts to return to Kalispell, his former home, Curry said Tuesday.
Curry was in charge of the Flathead SWAT team when Burgert was subject to a similar manhunt in February 2002.
Prior that incident Burgert had attempted to stage his death along the Kalispell River to escape authorities. When officers later pulled over a vehicle Burgert was driving with his girlfriend as a passenger, Curry said Burgert bailed out and ran through the woods, sparking an all-night chase that ended the next morning with Burgert cornered and holding a gun to his head.
After a standoff of several hours, Burgert surrendered, Curry said.
He was sentenced in 2004 to 10 years in prison.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:55 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
The dork was sentenced to 10 years in 2004 and now there's a manhunt on for him??

Amazing how you guys promote recidivism by letting people out of jail before they've done their time. Maybe I'm missing something

But on the bright side, we have the same disease up here

Old 06-14-2011, 06:12 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
The dork was sentenced to 10 years in 2004 and now there's a manhunt on for him??

Amazing how you guys promote recidivism by letting people out of jail before they've done their time. Maybe I'm missing something

But on the bright side, we have the same disease up here
Somehow that doesn't make me feel any better. A show I watched last night explained if you're a murdered female in PA your killer may get 40 years, serve 20 & walk. We know part of that is from overcrowding. Remove the soft drug users and we might be able to keep a murderer till cobwebs grow on his corpse.

I was surprised he was from Montana. I thought the hard cases all went to Idaho to hang out with Music.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:31 AM  

Eureka, Montana
They could stop filling the prisons with 'white collar crime' and non-violent criminals and make more use of public service work as punishment.

Then there'd be more room for the people that should be kept off the streets longer.

Crime should be punished, and dangerous people locked up, but there are a lot of people behind bars who never were a threat to society and could be doing court-required 'volunteer' work instead. That would be more useful to society (and the organizations getting help from these 'volunteers') than feeding and housing them in jail.

Ticks me off to see someone get arrested for killing, raping, or robbing and find out they'd been released from prison after serving, say, 8 years of a 15-year sentence (or something similar) for the same crime previously.

Then some college kid who never got in trouble for anything else gets caught with marijuana and spends 25 years in prison. Or some shopaholic lady writes a bad check and serves 20 years. Dumb.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:48 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I'm with you on that hermit. It's a pretty sad and absurd state of affairs.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Montana
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.