Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Montana
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2011, 05:15 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Just curious how much freezer one needs to put up an elk That looks like a lot of groceries.?

Moving West takes a real head adjustment after being used to East coast deer so long. Are moose hunted too?

Old 03-30-2011, 06:10 AM  

Cut Bank, MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaandy View Post
I have hunted in the Red Lodge (Luther) area (520) for the past 10 years and have only seen elk 1 x a few years back. Told by the ranchers/locals that the place used to be thick with elk. My hunting buddies and I are getting up in years (50's & 60's) and have to bag an elk before it is too late/we are too old. Anyone who can provide us with access to an area that at least has elk on it or who can point us to state/fed land or program land that has elk on it will be rewarded (I am an award winning brewer and I will bring loads of beer). Willing to travel a ways but would prefer not to go too far West of Bozeman if possible since we are near Billings (say a 100 mile radius from Billings). Helena would be OK too. PM me if interested.
Will trade IPA for trophy size Gophers, but you have to come to Cut Bank.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:35 AM  

Gophers

Ha ha. Thanks, but I have plenty of gophers around here - don't need any more.

No, looking for elk and currently in all the wrong places.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:40 PM  

But remember Moose and Elk are good food: 1350 wolves can't be wrong.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:54 AM  

Eureka, Montana
I think moose tags are by drawing. We have moose here in the NW corner of Montana, but not in the numbers that allow us to just go buy a tag.

We finally filled our deer tags before the end of the season, but like I said on an earlier post, we were only allowed one deer, buck only, in our area this year.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:07 AM  

eureka, montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Just curious how much freezer one needs to put up an elk That looks like a lot of groceries.?

Moving West takes a real head adjustment after being used to East coast deer so long. Are moose hunted too?
The last cow I shot was 307 pounds field dressed. About three times the size of a large field dressed deer. Bulls can be twice that big. All depends on the size of the critter.

Moose are hunted by drawing. Hard to get a tag and they charge a $5.00 non-refundable drawing fee so the state makes extra money charging you extra to pay them to do thier job. It's a good racket for the state. The odds of getting a tag are so much against you that you'd be better off to save your money and get together with some friends to hunt moose in Alaska. If you're lucky enough to draw a tag the success rate is fairly high though.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:23 PM  

That sounds like the Big Horn Sheep south of Chinook. When ever you drive to the Stafford Fairy you have kick them off the road but when you have 2 tags they seem to know it and disappear.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:47 AM  

Eureka, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gun View Post
That sounds like the Big Horn Sheep south of Chinook. When ever you drive to the Stafford Fairy you have kick them off the road but when you have 2 tags they seem to know it and disappear.
Isn't THAT the truth!!! Funny how that works.

We have deer around our place all summer...until hunting season! Then we have to go looking for them!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Montana
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.