Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Moving
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2010, 08:44 AM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Flat towing, cheaper than renting a trailer

I recently completed a cross country move towing my CJ.

U-haul, Budget and Penske wanted better than $500 for a trailer or tow dolly. I used the quotes to justify to my wife the purchase of a new sturdier front bumper that I had been wanting and a bumper tow bar. Harbor Freight sells a magnetic light kit for $9.99, plug and play easy to use.. Cost me about $300 total to purchase the upgrades to move my Jeep and that will certainly be using again.

I disconnected the rear drive shaft and the battery, left the hubs in 2wd and the trans in neutral, ign switch in the on position to keep the steering unlocked.. It towed like a dream, couldn't even tell it was behind me.. I checked everything out including hub temperature at every stop just to be sure I wasn't destroying anything..

This obviously won't work for everyone's particular vehicular situation but it's worth looking into..

*Make sure to research the specifics of your vehicle so you don't burn up the drive train or rip the front bumper off.*

Old 10-06-2010, 10:55 AM  

souderton, pa
next time i would check local laws you might have had to remove the front as well from a legal stand point.nice work on getting the bumper to.i do the same thing to get what i want for my jeep.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:05 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert01xj View Post
next time i would check local laws you might have had to remove the front as well from a legal stand point.nice work on getting the bumper to.i do the same thing to get what i want for my jeep.
That's the nice thing about a CJ. With the front hubs unlocked only the tires are turning and there is no need to disconnect the front drive shaft.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Moving
Bookmark this Page!

« - | Flying with dogs? »

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.