Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Moving
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2010, 09:10 AM  

Apple Valley, California
Eighteen years in the moving biz...I do not miss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Make sure the moving company sends someone out to see your stuff and they give you a hard quote that cannot go more than 10% over when they actually weigh the truck. I had a terrible experience moving from the SF Bay Area up here, when they quoted it over the phone then wanted to double it. Took complaints to both state attorneys general to get them to back down. (Mayflower out of Oregon)
Correct,.. always have a salesman come out and estimate your shipment. Moving with a pro company,...this is always an interesting topic. I say this because of all the stories about being moved by a pro company. I could tell many myself. Why you might ask ? I spent 18 years in that industry and did everything from military and civilian work, local work, warehousing, international and was also an owner/operator with 48 state and Canadian authority for several different major Van line companies. Yes, I know the industry well. While going with a big name company does help to be quite honest it is the people that come out to do the job much more than anything else. Many agents hire people that have been in and out of jail and prison, tweekers and so on. Telling the salesman that you have a relative that spent say for example twenty plus years as a mover/driver This will tell him he had better get you a good crew.You can tell him you want only the best driver and helpers on the job and if you see ANYTHING that is not professional about your move you will send them on there way right then and that will make him very cautious about who he sends on the job. Make sure all large items are well documented on the "inventory" papers. Also check this information for damage noted that IS NOT actually present. It is not an uncommon practice for a line driver to claim something being damaged on paperwork that is not as something that could happen in transit or just from bad handling practices. This is at times done to protect the driver from a claim being filed against him. Also,... make sure all furniture is padded in the residence not taken outside and padded in your driveway. You think you guy's got stories...LOL... Please do not get me wrong. A good driver and crew will give you a great move.
Work is paying for relocation. Tips for a newbie?-matt%40work1.jpg 

Old 12-30-2010, 06:33 AM  

Upper Mojave, California
I had a Navy civy move and they got everything packed and then delivered it the day after I got the keys to my rental. This was about 2 weeks after they packed it up. There were a few small things (kids toys) broken, but other wise it went well. Just remember not to sign off on the moving slip when they deliver until you know everything is fine.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:17 AM  

Apple Valley, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96XJ0507 View Post
Just remember not to sign off on the moving slip when they deliver until you know everything is fine.
"moving slip" ? They are called "inventories"
Old 12-30-2010, 11:45 PM  

Upper Mojave, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2001TJ View Post
"moving slip" ? They are called "inventories"
I've heard it both ways.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:07 PM  
Will Travel By Jeep

Indianapolis, IN
My wife and I had a paid move when we were first married. It was fun... they flew us out 1st class to find a place to live. However we didn't have much stuff yet. Now I'd hate to move... especially since having a paid move I'm sure these days is rare so I'd have to pack my own junk.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:05 AM  

Georgia
The movers will be noting the condition of your furniture on their forms with little codes. If your furniture has 1 ding and it arrives with 3 dings, you'll be SOL because the form will say it was already dinged. Not sure how to deal with that because professional movers move pretty darned quick and you are trying to get out of dodge. Generally, the folks from big name van lines do well.

Things will go better if you have plenty of Gatorade and cold water on hand in your refrigerator. Don't forget to tip the movers and the driver. The driver gets a little more.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:04 AM  

Apple Valley, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDude View Post
The movers will be noting the condition of your furniture on their forms with little codes. If your furniture has 1 ding and it arrives with 3 dings, you'll be SOL because the form will say it was already dinged.
This is not the case. If damage was noted on the "inventory" papers it is what it is. Otherwise, if damage is present upon delivery it will be dealt with from the insurance company and in most cases takes very good care of the customer. Also, a good driver when doing his "inventory" if he finds damage that is exceptional he will ask the customer if they knew that existed BEFORE the item is even moved. Many times as a pro mover I have asked a customer aka "shipper" if they had known about damage on an item and they would say no that they did not.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:22 AM  

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
I have moved interstate several times. One important thing to establish right away is what will and won't they move. Many of these companies won't move some things like a motorcycle,rider mower or something along that line.
One more thing you should know about is that if by chance you get a driver that you are having some sort of problem with call his company right away. He will be pulled off of the job and you will get a differant driver. I had lots of problem with one and had to do this.
My wife has lots of crystal and the driver was tring to claim that some of it wasn't. This is important to establish things like this. Because if breakage occures it cost the driver.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:19 AM  

Apple Valley, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamataco View Post
One important thing to establish right away is what will and won't they move. Many of these companies won't move some things like a motorcycle,rider mower or something along that line.
This is important to establish things like this. Because if breakage occurs it cost the driver.
If you get a driver refusing to take certain items than you have a bad driver to begin with. The only time they can refuse to load certain items is if it is a international move and in some rare cases military moves.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:23 AM  

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2001TJ View Post
If you get a driver refusing to take certain items than you have a bad driver to begin with. The only time they can refuse to load certain items is if it is a international move and in some rare cases military moves.
And federal governent employee moves. My wife is a federal employee and there are certain things that they won't pay to move.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Moving
Bookmark this Page!