Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2011, 05:56 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
For those of you who think that I mail all my bills....I find that direct deposit is easiest. Also, I don't want to be running around wringing my hands because I don't know how to do anything offline...... You know, I have been to businesses to make transactions or just do business and they are pretty much closed because their computers were down.... That's just sad, and the Internet isn't much different.
Oh yeah, it takes a whole lot of skill to stuff an envelope in a mailbox with an expensive picture tacked to the corner of it.
Quote:

You speak of alternative means, but they are the ways it was done before.
And are more expensive, for both parties, thus the shift to online business.
Quote:
You folks would probably be in a real mess if you couldn't depend on e grocery stores and auto mechanics....Sad.
Don't be a pompous *******. You have no idea of the skill level of the people in here, but I can tell you this: An internet connection at home has given me the information I've needed to repair my Jeep, and the mechanics fees I avoided by doing it myself were equivalent to several months of an internet subscription.
Quote:

Also, I couldn't care less what others have UNLESS MY TAXES PAY FOR IT. Sounds to me like you are the same ones worried about who has jets and yachts (ironically, paid for by themselves!)
Ok, so, are you suggesting that you want people to be on public assistance longer than simply giving them the tools they need to raise themselves to the standards expected of employable people?

Old 08-28-2011, 05:58 AM  

So, the national debt indeed has eternal life indeed as liberals have a justification for everything (in their minds).

Old 08-28-2011, 10:39 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
So, the national debt indeed has eternal life indeed as liberals have a justification for everything (in their minds).
Take a look at recent history, the past few decades. The GOP has created far more debt than the left.

Of course, that is the fiscally responsible thing to do, even though the American public typically responds as you do, with a knee-jerk reaction to debt, originating from a misunderstanding of how federal-level debt actually works.

Yes, the debt has "eternal" life. It won't end until a radically different method of trade is adopted. Perhaps some utopian system of governance like Star Trek's United Federation of Planets could end it, but that's about it. That means, of course, that we're not passing it along to our kids, or our grandkids, but WAY down the line, to a generation that is far more innovative and progressive than we could ever hope to be.

This isn't a uniquely American issue. It faces nearly everyone in nearly every nation, and Americans face a far lower burden than most.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:34 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
but they are the ways it was done before.You folks would probably be in a real mess if you couldn't depend on e grocery stores and auto mechanics....Sad.
you would unsurprisingly be wrong. You go ahead and eat possum and yearn for the good old 19th Century. It fits you.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:19 PM  

The debt is real, doesn't really matter who started it. What matters most is who can end it and that doesn't seem to be Obama. It also doesn't really matter that we are not the only nation with debt problems, that is unless the nations as a whole declare a year of jubilee and forgive all debts. Blindly spending our way on down the road seems to actually have its fans.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:26 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Don't be a pompous *******. You have no idea of the skill level of the people in here, but I can tell you this: An internet connection at home has given me the information I've needed to repair my Jeep, and the mechanics fees I avoided by doing it myself were equivalent to several months of an internet subscription.

Ok, so, are you suggesting that you want people to be on public assistance longer than simply giving them the tools they need to raise themselves to the standards expected of employable people?
Hey, I wasn't trying to get folks all wound up... Look, I too have found invaluable info on working on my jeep also. And yes, maybe there are planty of folks who would do fine. But, (you may disagree) I do feel that there are MANY folks out there who would be lost without their Twitter, Facebook, Ebay and their Internet phones so they can always be connected. Hey, don't get me wrong I use Facebook and Ebay on occasion. I think they are good tools, and you can benefit from them. I just don't believe that they should be considered a NECESSITY. Next thing you know, it will be a car. Or a cellphone (oh wait, some places the government is providing those too).
We continue down this road and everyone is going to have the same thing regardless of how hard they have worked (or haven't) to get them.
I still think that it is sad if I cannot make a purchase at a business when their "computers are down".
Old 08-29-2011, 09:16 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I still think that it is sad if I cannot make a purchase at a business when their "computers are down".
I find it sad if my own computer goes down but it happens with a frequency we all expect. It was computers that allowed a complex inventory system that used bar codes to follow sales and restock accordingly.
There is no backup for that in a paper world. It's sadder still that even if they did revert to an old system that system would require basic math skills that only some could manage.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:30 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
It's sadder still that even if they did revert to an old system that system would require basic math skills that only some could manage.
Now this, I will agree with. But I do blame that (only in part of course) on the dependence on technology.

de?pen?dence also de?pen?dance (d-pndns)
n.
1. The state of being dependent, as for support.
2. a. Subordination to someone or something needed or greatly desired.
b. Trust; reliance. See Synonyms at trust.
3. The state of being determined, influenced, or controlled by something else.
4. A compulsive or chronic need; an addiction: an alcohol dependence.

(freedictionary.com)
Old 08-29-2011, 10:34 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Now this, I will agree with. But I do blame that (only in part of course) on the dependence on technology.

of course there's the dependence on electricity, fossil fuels and and Western Civilization. OMG!, we're DOOMED

Quote:
The debt is real, doesn't really matter who started it.
Bush caused it and it matters because ignorance will put that same greed in the hands of those who will repeat his error. The Tea fringe is an embarrassment to this country.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:39 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
We gave Bush a surplus but he gave it away. He must have been a liberal huh?
3M to expand broadband Internet in rural U.S.-8_400x1000.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!