Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2011, 12:38 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
At present some sattilite dish companies offer internet through their system but it still is slow, spendy, and schetchy, at best. I don't see any time in the near future that it will change either.
Any idea why Dish Network can provide a decent HD signal but not internet? i can't help wondering if expanding cell tower coverage couldn't address much of the need. Populations hug roads and people driving expect cell coverage.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:14 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Any idea why Dish Network can provide a decent HD signal but not internet? i can't help wondering if expanding cell tower coverage couldn't address much of the need. Populations hug roads and people driving expect cell coverage.
Not sure whats up with sattilite when it comes to their available bandwidth in their air transmissions. I imagine that alot of bandwidth is used up for HDTV and HD sound broadcasts. Possibly too much bit rate error in sattilite transmission.

Cell towers work out to around 20,000 feet in distance and of course mostly fiber and copper cable carries the signal between them. To expand cell towers you'd need the land line cableing to make it work. So theres not much help there.

PUC amd FCC usually dictate these things. Phone, cable, and sattilite are always competing with each other for services provided and they heavly lobby these agencies to each get what they need and want.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:04 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Cell towers work out to around 20,000 feet in distance and of course mostly fiber and copper cable carries the signal between them. To expand cell towers you'd need the land line cableing to make it work. So theres not much help there.
I'd never poked into the technology because I don't need a cell phone. guess I'd hoped the towers had a wireless connection.

If a tower serves a 40,000 ft. diameter which is about 7 miles could a wireless signal of any sort be utilized perhaps using repeaters? I'm assuming the juice would be solar in nature.

In Canada most of the population lives pretty close to our shared border thus simplifying the chore of connection. In the US we have huge empty areas we can't affordably get coverage to but if we covered areas within perhaps 20 miles of the major highways passing thru these areas we'd reach the majority of the population.

I'd have called this unnecessary until recently. Dialup is being abandoned by those designing websites making many sites too slow loading to be of any use.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:08 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Just for fun

I know you love pics!

Quote:
Really Big Coloring Books has published the most political children?s book of the year?The Tea Party Coloring Book for Kids!. Sample photos are included above.

The 32-page book retails for $3.59, introducing children to the growing political movement championed by bestselling authors like Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin. It includes puzzles, mazes, connect the dots, word search, and many other pages to color.

Here?s more about the book: ?A wonderful book of The Tea Party for Kids! Teaches children (and parents) about the origins of the Tea Party and what it involves. A very pleasant song, coloring and activity book on Liberty, Faith, Freedom and so much more! Get involved, participate, self reliance, freedom of choice, work, government-of-for-by the people, Leadership, Ingenuity, Jobs and responsibilty!? (Via Jezebel)
Tea Party Coloring Book for Children - GalleyCat

Comments:
johnconniff 11 months ago
Finally a book that Tea Parties can actually finish! Bravo...

tootsi1 11 months ago
THANKS TO THE PUBLISHER.ENOUGH IS ENOUGH WITH THE LIBERAL SIDE.GOD BLESS ALL WHO BELIEVE IN THE FREE MARKET.GOD BLESS AMERICA AND OUR TROOPS.

SFmemberSITR 11 months ago
Why does the cover show multi-racial children? The Tea-Party is 99.99% white for the simple fact that non-whites do not share our same values and culture. If they did the Tea-Party crowd would be as diverse as the cover of this coloring book. Were not the ones keepig them out, they choose not to join our cause.
Face it folks, us White people are on our own.

Johnny Smith 11 months ago
Yes, there are definitely too many people of color for that to be a real Tea Party scenario. They did get the misspelled sign right, though. And is that the money tree on the right, that the tea party thinks the GOP uses for all of their spending and tax cuts for the wealthy?

Ethan Savickas 10 months ago
Comes with an entire box of white crayons.

Tea Party Coloring Book for Children - GalleyCat
3M to expand broadband Internet in rural U.S.-camp-constitution-coloring-book-001.jpg 

3M to expand broadband Internet in rural U.S.-snapshot-21.jpg 

3M to expand broadband Internet in rural U.S.-daddy05-firedog.jpg 

Old 08-31-2011, 04:35 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
I'd never poked into the technology because I don't need a cell phone. guess I'd hoped the towers had a wireless connection.

If a tower serves a 40,000 ft. diameter which is about 7 miles could a wireless signal of any sort be utilized perhaps using repeaters? I'm assuming the juice would be solar in nature.

In Canada most of the population lives pretty close to our shared border thus simplifying the chore of connection. In the US we have huge empty areas we can't affordably get coverage to but if we covered areas within perhaps 20 miles of the major highways passing thru these areas we'd reach the majority of the population.

I'd have called this unnecessary until recently. Dialup is being abandoned by those designing websites making many sites too slow loading to be of any use.
Fast Cat is a repleater technology that is being used in some rural areas for internet connection. Fast Cat uses a series of repeaters to extend a broadband service originating usually form a land line fed service. Alot of FCC red tape to go through in some areas and not so much in others.

A friend of mine has 120,000 acres of ranch land and has some clay mine pits on them, land leases to other ranchers, has a tile factory there, FM & AM radio towers, etc... All money makers. About 10 years ago he put up another tower for Fast Cat to provide internet for the folks in this area, including himself, and a bit beyond. They tie into a backup T-1 service through a small private airport. Win-Win for my friend and the airport as they make a pretty good chunk of change in subscriber fees to his extended internet servece. The PUC regulates what he is paid and it is good. Still he had to bring in power to these tower sites and the PUC requires that the service is non interrupted. So solar may be used but power from the grid and a backup generators are required at each tower site. Service to his customers is pretty good but not as good as a telephone or cable TV land line hook up. Towers and associated equipment does require service on a regular basis to keep up and running in good fashion.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:52 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
thanks for the insights.

Quote:
Service to his customers is pretty good but not as good as a telephone or cable TV land line hook up. Towers and associated equipment does require service on a regular basis to keep up and running in good fashion.
I'd bet something like his set up might work for many. Most of NDAK & Montana I crossed was simply empty even near the highway. The great prairies, deserts and mountains defy land infrastructure investment to a point that makes it unfeasible now but probably not for long.

when cable became available outside the Allentown/Bethlehem suburbs the average customer still had to wait several years. The cable company first ran optical line through all the low hanging fruit housing developments. Anyone not living within 50 ft. of other houses just waited.

These companies have huge profits and should be required to shoulder more of the burden of reaching customers further than their doorstep.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:25 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
thanks for the insights.

I'd bet something like his set up might work for many. Most of NDAK & Montana I crossed was simply empty even near the highway. The great prairies, deserts and mountains defy land infrastructure investment to a point that makes it unfeasible now but probably not for long.

when cable became available outside the Allentown/Bethlehem suburbs the average customer still had to wait several years. The cable company first ran optical line through all the low hanging fruit housing developments. Anyone not living within 50 ft. of other houses just waited.

These companies have huge profits and should be required to shoulder more of the burden of reaching customers further than their doorstep.
These companies also have huge expenses to keep this stuff up and running and to keep up with the exponentially advancing technology. Also, I believe that they are spending alot of their percieved profits against each other to keep a secure place in the market. The unioins also have them by the perverbial balls in alot of cases.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.