Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2011, 11:00 PM  

You wasted a bit of time on that one!

Old 10-21-2011, 11:16 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
You wasted a bit of time on that one!
It was worth it. I like helping my online friends to be right. Sometimes, it takes a bit more effort than I prefer to give, but usually, they come to understand the mistake they made and learn not to make it again!

Old 10-21-2011, 11:19 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
It was worth it. I like helping my online friends to be right. Sometimes, it takes a bit more effort than I prefer to give, but usually, they come to understand the mistake they made and learn not to make it again!
No mistake here, if the bad guys buy consumer goods they pay 9% just as I would.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:34 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
No mistake here, if the bad guys buy consumer goods they pay 9% just as I would.
Yes, but the guy who buys from the bad guys *doesn't* pay that 9%. That's where that money came from. that's why there is no extra tax on illegal activities.

Charlie is the one actually sending the money to the government. Whether it's income from selling to Adam, income from selling to Bob, sales tax collected from Adam, or sales tax collected from Bob, Charlie is cutting the same check to the IRS.

I'm running out of different ways to explain that concept to you. There is NO extra tax on illegal activities here. NONE.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:21 AM  

Quote:
Yes, but the guy who buys from the bad guys *doesn't* pay that 9%. That's where that money came from. that's why there is no extra tax on illegal activities.

Charlie is the one actually sending the money to the government. Whether it's income from selling to Adam, income from selling to Bob, sales tax collected from Adam, or sales tax collected from Bob, Charlie is cutting the same check to the IRS.

I'm running out of different ways to explain that concept to you. There is NO extra tax on illegal activities here. NONE.
I guess you have learned that redistribution of taxes like redistribution of wealth is a bit complicated. Especially if one works in the public sector, when you worked for the NSA (whether direct or contact) in reality you paid no federal income tax. Sure, you felt the pinch but your taxes just represented less income as they went back into the federal pot. So, the private sector was paying both your salary and your taxes. Similar problems with trying to tax corporations or even drug makers/dealers, in the end private sector citizens in the 53% pick up the tab, though the path may be convoluted.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:52 AM  

Nashville, TN
Quote:

And they are not paying ANY taxes now. So why are ya'll worried about one trivial part of the 999 plan. Theres more to Cains proposal than a drug dealer paying 9% sales tax.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:39 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
And they are not paying ANY taxes now.
Scenario 7. Adam collects his $1000 paycheck, pays $200 in taxes. Adam buys $800 worth of drugs from Bob. Bob smuggles the money out of the US to a home in the Cayman Islands, where he uses it to purchase goods and services untaxed by the US government. At the end of the day, the Federal government is up $200.

Scenario 8. Adam collects his $1000 paycheck. Adam buys $1000 worth of drugs from Bob. Bob smuggles the money out of the US to a home in the Cayman Islands, where he uses it to purchase goods and services untaxed by the US government. At the end of the day, the Federal government has collected NO taxes on these transactions.

Tell me again how sales tax represents a new tax on illegal activities.

Quote:
So why are ya'll worried about one trivial part of the 999 plan. Theres more to Cains proposal than a drug dealer paying 9% sales tax.
You know what, that's fine. Present those other parts. I'd LOVE to talk about something other than the idiotic idea that sales tax makes drug dealers pay too.

Perhaps something about how his plan is a huge tax cut for the top 1%-5%, and a major tax increase on the bottom 95%-99%. Given the state of affairs of the nation today, I'm not seeing it happen.

Frankly, I don't think Cain stands a chance. You might convince the OWS crowd that Obama isn't a good candidate, but you're not going to convince them that a GOP candidate is better. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of his support came from liberals looking to give Obama an edge by supporting a weaker opponent in the primaries.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.