Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 10-22-2011, 11:27 AM  
mohel
 
blucher's Avatar

Keizer, OR
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,383 | Kudos: +123
Images: 99
Adult Industry Prepares For GOP Convention

...............
Adult Industry Prepares For 2012 GOP Convention

Quote:
TAMPA, Fla. -- Following an extensive remodel, the Penthouse Club in Tampa, Fla., is finally ready for next summer's Republican National Convention. Club operator DeWayne Levesque has installed two secluded VIP sections, which he hopes will help his club attract a bigger share of the 50,000 visitors expected to descend upon the city on Aug. 27 for four days of conservative politics and liberal partying. In addition to the club's new carpets and furniture, the private rooms are designed to provide cover so that camera-shy donors, politicians and aides can enjoy the strippers without fear of getting caught, he said.

A few blocks from the Penthouse Club, another strip club owner, Joe Redner, said he has high hopes for what the convention means for business at his all-nude club, Mons Venus. "I'm guessing we'll make five times as much in a night as we usually do," Redner told HuffPost. "Republicans got plenty of money. They take it all from poor people," he said.

Redner said he thinks many convention visitors will be in the market for a lap dance, but newly-released academic research suggests that some will be interested in the darker elements of Tampa's adult scene, too -- sex for sale. HuffPost teamed up with Tampa-based reporter Shawn Alff, of the Creative Loafing media group, to examine the potential impact of the RNC on two major pillars of the city's X-rated economy: prostitution and strip clubs.

"I can make between $50,000-$60,000 a night at Mons Venus during the days leading up to the Superbowl," Redner explained, "up from $10,000-$12,000 on an average night." When asked how a buttoned-up, political clientele might differ from a Superbowl crowd, Redner laughed. "All customers look [at the dancers] the same, no matter what they're wearing or what they're here for."

Mons Venus typically closes at 5 a.m., but Redner said he would be willing to keep the club open 24-7 during the GOP convention if demand merits it. That said, he may charge clients a premium at the door. "During the Superbowl I charge $50 a head. I may decide to do that during the convention, too."

In the meantime, Redner's got a few bones to pick with GOP policymakers. "[Republicans] keep saying this stuff about how if we tax the rich, then small businesses won't be able to grow. But I'm a small business owner, and I put all my money right back into my businesses in the form of capital improvements, which I don't pay taxes on anyway. So their argument isn't how reality works."
Adult Industry Prepares For GOP Convention-r-dancer-large570.jpg 

__________________

__________________
I'll believe corporations are persons when Texas executes one.: LBJ's Ghost
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:40 PM  
Senior Member

Bristol, Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,062 | Kudos: +48
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
the last statement there sums it up..... if we want a better economy we need to tax more, to kickstart this economy, a 2 year tax of 30% of any corporate PROFIT (which is what they are taxed on) over a million as it would force companies to act according to their pocketbook and expand and spend money improving their business now...

yes it isn't "free market" but considering we helped them out through the bank loans (and far worse through quantitative easing - essentially a tax on everyone by lowering the value of a dollar) I think it's fair since it will help the economy for everyone overall
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:25 PM  
Senior Member
 
oldognewtrick's Avatar

Nashville, TN
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 493 | Kudos: +74
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
the last statement there sums it up..... if we want a better economy we need to tax more, to kickstart this economy, a 2 year tax of 30% of any corporate PROFIT (which is what they are taxed on) over a million as it would force companies to act according to their pocketbook and expand and spend money improving their business now...

yes it isn't "free market" but considering we helped them out through the bank loans (and far worse through quantitative easing - essentially a tax on everyone by lowering the value of a dollar) I think it's fair since it will help the economy for everyone overall
Heres the problem with raising taxes. Companies have to show a profit to stay in business. If you raise their tax amount they will raise the cost to the consumer to maintain their profit margin and satisfy their share holders. Do you have a 401/CD's/Stocks? Where do you think that money your saving for retirement is? It's invested in companies that hopefully show a profit to pay a dividend. Increasing taxes does not increase revenue. I said it before and I'll say it again. We do not a revenue problem...We have a SPENDING problem. When you borrow 40% of what you flitter away, somethings very, very wrong.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:27 PM  
Senior Member
 
oldognewtrick's Avatar

Nashville, TN
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 493 | Kudos: +74
Oh, and if you can make 10-12,000 on a slow nite, I think I need to rethink my career choice.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:30 PM  
Senior Member

Bristol, Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,062 | Kudos: +48
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
Heres the problem with raising taxes. Companies have to show a profit to stay in business. If you raise their tax amount they will raise the cost to the consumer to maintain their profit margin and satisfy their share holders. Do you have a 401/CD's/Stocks? Where do you think that money your saving for retirement is? It's invested in companies that hopefully show a profit to pay a dividend. Increasing taxes does not increase revenue. I said it before and I'll say it again. We do not a revenue problem...We have a SPENDING problem. When you borrow 40% of what you flitter away, somethings very, very wrong.
or a company can grow, yes having cash and dividends is great, but a growing company is usally better. correct increasing taxes does not always equal increased revenue, and that was exactly the benefit I am talking about. An accountant will see the taxes and say "if we upgrade our factory/expand new stores/hire new employees during this 2 year span we won't have to pay taxes on that money" and this will help the economy, not in terms of increased revenua but in terms of jobs....

and for your spending bs, we are inline with other developed countries, and in many cases lower, overall we don't have a spending problem (except the military which is insanely large compared to anyone else's)
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:32 PM  
Senior Member

Bristol, Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,062 | Kudos: +48
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
Oh, and if you can make 10-12,000 on a slow nite, I think I need to rethink my career choice.
would assume that is gross for the facility, not his net......
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:35 PM  
Senior Member
 
oldognewtrick's Avatar

Nashville, TN
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 493 | Kudos: +74
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
would assume that is gross for the facility, not his net......
Still better than I make sitting here in front of this computer screen ticking off my buddies Rival and the redjeep guy.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.