Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2011, 10:32 AM  

Greenville, SC
Alabama and immigration law glitches

Oops, sorry... the thread title didn't do like I thought it would.

Ala. loses workers as immigration law takes effect - US news - Life - msnbc.com

This article indicates that "it looks like it is backfiring (paraphrase..)".

I read the article and it sounds like it is working to me! It also sounds like the ones who got used to cheap/illegal labor are the ones having trouble with the fact that now they are going to have to pay the wages that taxpaying CITIZENS demand. Also sounds like it will help out with the schools.
I'm not sure where they get that "it's backfiring".... Is it due to businesses complaining about not having the cheap labor? Well, duh!?!

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 10-06-2011, 10:56 AM  

Easy fix, is that better? If not, PM me.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:51 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Easy fix, is that better? If not, PM me.
That will work. Thanks! I tried to "edit" but it wouldn't let me edit the title..

Old 10-06-2011, 12:55 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR

So far, few legal residents have stepped in to fill any of the vacancies, creating an absence that will surely deal a blow to the state's economy and could slow the rebuilding of Tuscaloosa and other tornado-damaged cities.
Employers believe they can carry on because of the dismal economy, but when things do turn around, they worry there won't be anyone around to hire.

Expect a boycott too.

On "60 Minutes an Hispanic woman in Alabama was interviewed about her feelings. She said, "they say it's not racial but I think it's like they way they treated black people".

ya think?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:16 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post

So far, few legal residents have stepped in to fill any of the vacancies, creating an absence that will surely deal a blow to the state's economy and could slow the rebuilding of Tuscaloosa and other tornado-damaged cities.
Employers believe they can carry on because of the dismal economy, but when things do turn around, they worry there won't be anyone around to hire.

Expect a boycott too.

On "60 Minutes an Hispanic woman in Alabama was interviewed about her feelings. She said, "they say it's not racial but I think it's like they way they treated black people".

ya think?
It doesn't say whether they INCREASED the pay rate to what a legal construction workers pay generally would be. If offering illegal worker pay then duh, of course noone is stepping up to do the work for essentially dirt pay.

I won't even respond to the racial comment.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:49 PM  

Nashville, TN
The problem with finding legal workers to work construction is they have become lazy, won't show up on time and have very poor work ethics. Don't think I know what I'm talking about? I've got several job openings and can't find people who will work. Low paying?? Not hardly.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:45 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
The problem with finding legal workers to work construction is they have become lazy, won't show up on time and have very poor work ethics. Don't think I know what I'm talking about? I've got several job openings and can't find people who will work. Low paying?? Not hardly.
If your pay is significantly less than what someone can receive in unemployment benefits, it's low paying. It also explains why your workers don't care about the work you're offering.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:02 PM  

Nashville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
If your pay is significantly less than what someone can receive in unemployment benefits, it's low paying. It also explains why your workers don't care about the work you're offering.
You obviously missed the point of my post. I'll type slower so maybe you can better understand. The legal American male has become lazy.

You'd be surprised at what some of our workers make. Far better than welfare wages. But the qualifying word here is worker. We do construction work, not sit in Starbucks all day and expect a check on friday.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:37 AM  
fustrated genius

Good morning AZTLAN
Old 10-07-2011, 09:49 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
You obviously missed the point of my post. I'll type slower so maybe you can better understand. The legal American male has become lazy.
You're trying to tell me that every American male snubs his nose at your job because... they're all lazy.

So let me get this straight: Your problems are all caused by someone else. How very "liberal" of you.

Quote:

You'd be surprised at what some of our workers make. Far better than welfare wages. But the qualifying word here is worker. We do construction work, not sit in Starbucks all day and expect a check on friday.
You say they're well paid, and yet, you're complaining that your workforce is lazy; you're complaining that you can't attract good workers.

If your jobs are so valuable to workers, they'd be lining up to work for you. That's economics 101 stuff. By your own admission, they're not; you're attracting only the lazy people to work for you. At what point do you stop and ask yourself: "Is it me? Am I causing this problem?" At what point do you start TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, man up, and start paying an appropriate wage for the work these people are doing for you?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!