Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2011, 09:32 AM  

Greenville, SC
Armed store clerks?

This is always fun...

I for one think that if all stores/businesses had a "you try to rob me you will get shot" policy I think that robberies would almost disappear.
Most criminals are counting on the "..give them what they want so noone gets hurt.." policy. That more often thatn not results in an easy robbery.

What you folks think??

Old 01-21-2011, 10:37 AM  

Provided the clerks pass an efficiency test and complete a safety course, I'd have no problem with this. Unfortunately, the truth is that a clerk's job is about the lowest paying jobs around, so the persons applying to wear a gun probably would not be able to pass any type of necessary tests, as most get confused easily, and would not be able to provide you the correct change without the cash register which tells them how much change you actually receive.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:56 AM  

Greenville, SC
^^^ I do agree. I just think it is fun to think about. It just seems that if it would in fact greatly reduce the chances of a robbery that maybe Ins. companies would give the business some sort of cost break and maybe it could become a slightly higher paying position. I don't believe that hired (armed) security guards get paid a whole lot
(do they?).

I remember when the video poker places were legal here, and they would have a security guard and a clerk. I always wondered why they just didn't have an armed clerk??

I don't think I have heard about a successful robbery where the clerk pulled out a gun.
I could be mistaken....
Old 01-21-2011, 10:59 AM  

Greenville, SC
It seems that most of the time, if the business owner pulls out a gun the thief runs out (probably because the gun was unexpected). If the gun was expected then perhaps the robber would not have even tried.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:18 AM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Flipside is robbers expect the gun so they come in and just kill the clerk right away.

Same with sex crimes. If rape/child molestation is turned into a capital punishment then you might see more victims just being killed so the criminal has less chance of being caught.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:33 AM  

Greenville, SC
I can see that possibly happening in some instances. I just don't think that would be the common scenario. I don't think someone would usually plan to assasinate someone just to get into the 7-11 cash drawer. They would however, go into a 7-11 with a gun to have money handed to them with no resistance.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:32 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I can see that possibly happening in some instances. I just don't think that would be the common scenario. I don't think someone would usually plan to assasinate someone just to get into the 7-11 cash drawer. They would however, go into a 7-11 with a gun to have money handed to them with no resistance.
I think you far underestimate just how little some criminals value a random stranger's life. People do get killed over a couple hundred bucks when their is no real risk of injury to the thief already, add a likelihood of death and they will be more likely to shoot first.

it's always a balance, you don't want every altercation ending up being a gunfight but at the same time you don't want robbery to be too easy
Old 01-21-2011, 12:48 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
................. you don't want robbery to be too easy
Which I feel is pretty much where we are now.

I could be mistaken, but like I said earlier, I don't recall hearing a report of a robbery where the clerk/business owner pulled out a gun and the robbery was still successful. I have heard PLENTY of cases where the store clerk pulled a gun and either the robbers ran away, the robbers got shot, or they were held until the police arrived.

I have zero sympathy for a criminal who gets shot while commiting a crime.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:17 PM  

Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
This is always fun...

I for one think that if all stores/businesses had a "you try to rob me you will get shot" policy I think that robberies would almost disappear.
Most criminals are counting on the "..give them what they want so noone gets hurt.." policy. That more often thatn not results in an easy robbery.

What you folks think??
Would they disappear? No. Crime doesn't function because people thought things through.

I'm a huge fan of the death penalty. Not because it prevents crime, because it punishes it. I am also a fan of people carrying firearms, for more or less the same reason.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:36 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
Would they disappear? No. Crime doesn't function because people thought things through.

I'm a huge fan of the death penalty. Not because it prevents crime, because it punishes it. I am also a fan of people carrying firearms, for more or less the same reason.
I said ALMOST disappear. Really, I just mean people will be more reluctant to walk into a store and demand money if they thought they might get shot. Now they can pretty much count on NOT getting any resistance in the store. (most of the time)

I also agree with you.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!